CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

ALMA

When I was nine, I accidentally spilled a random liquid on myself, which somehow gave me mind reading powers. Like every other nine-year-old kid, I refused to tell my parents due to being afraid of them getting mad at me and taking my animal crackers away. I finally told my parents when I heard Dad curse without actually opening his mouth.

My special power was kept a secret between the three of us since Mom didn't want me to become some experiment. I had to go through school listening to every single one of my classmate's thoughts. During tests, I would always ask to be put in another room. My powers could allow me to cheat, but that would be breaking the honorary system I have with myself.

Other than being able to hear everybody's thoughts, my life is exactly what most people would not expect. I wasn't spoiled, unlike Dad's colleagues' children. Both of my parents love and care for me too much. Dad is against everybody my age since he doesn't want me to be in any sort of relationship. The most shocking thing, though, is I was taught to be kind and selfless

When you hear the name Almaria Stark you first think 'What kind of name is Almaria?' Well, Almaria is a name that is meant to be my own but it still holds Dad's mother's name. He has always told me stories of how she was the kindest woman, which is why he wanted me to somehow be named after her but still make it original for myself.

After you have the thought about my name, you then think, She must be worse than her father.

Those who don't truly know my father think he is a bad guy or just selfish, but what they don't know is that he is probably the most selfless person. He would give up everything to keep those close to him safe. He as always told me how I'm his number one, which is why he is so overprotective.

The entire world knows about Dad being Ironman, and even to this day they think he will come out of retirement to save the world, but he won't. Whenever the Avengers are brought up, Dad turns away. I don't really know why the Avengers broke up for real and why they went their separate ways but they did.

"Alma? Sweetheart?"

I look up from my science notebook to see Mom standing in the doorway of my room with her usual bright smile, freckled skin, red hair, and blue eyes. Mom hasn't changed anything about herself for the 18 years I've been alive. Her usual self is what made me feel at home even if we are miles away from home.

"Yes?"

She leans her head against the doorway and points behind her "Lunch is almost ready, can you go grab your Dad while I finish everything?"

I get out of bed and walk over to Mom, and she wraps her arm around mine as we walk through the long hallway. This is one of the things she always does—even if it's a small walk, her arm is wrapped around mine. If it's all three of us, then Dad will hold Mom's hand and wrap his free arm around my shoulders.

Once we reach the kitchen, Mom kisses my temple then walks over to finish making the sandwiches so I can go get Dad. The distance from the kitchen to Dad's lab consists of a minute walk and a whole elevator ride, but it's completely worth it since I get to see Dad at the end. Before I even reach the elevator the door opens, all thanks to F.R.I.D.A.Y.

After pressing the LAB button the elevator starts to play jazz music from my personal playlist. Dad thinks my type of music is the worst, which is why he tries to switch my playlist to his so I can have a taste of "real" music. Jazz is much better because you can hear all of the different basses and instruments.