❀⊱┄┄┄┄ seven: the cold ones ┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰ ❀

SEVEN : THE COLD ONES

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•Jacob twirls Bella around in his arms when we approach him down at the reservation

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────
Jacob twirls Bella around in his arms when we approach him down at the reservation. My classes don't start for another couple hours, so this is a good use of my time.

My friends come over to me.

Jake wraps his arms around me; it's like hugging a gentle, happy sun.
Quil and Embry race up to me tackling me with hugs.
"Is that my best friend I hear?" Claire practically pounces on me, tears glazing her eyes. She clambers down and dusts herself off. "Amber!" She screams out. "Emerson's back!" Like a bullet, Amber shoots across the beach and into my arms.

"I've missed you guys, too!" I giggle, trying my best to clean the dirt off of my leggings.

"Where have you been, loca?" Jacob Black grins at me, tilting his head to the side.

"On the run from a crazy ex-boyfriend." I answer.

"What's new?" Claire laughs. Her nose crinkles up and her eyes sparkle in the rare sunlight.

"Let me fix you kids up some food!" Sue Clearwater shouts from her kitchen, Harry and his children are sat on the outdoor picnic bench.
The reservation has such a refreshing family feel to it, I don't feel like I left them all a year ago. Hell, it doesn't even feel like I left a day ago!
──────✧❅✦❅✧──────
"Hey, Jake?" I tap him on the shoulder as he's devouring a turkey sandwich. He wipes his mouth with his sleeve, like an animal, before facing me.

"Take a walk with me?" I offer my hand and he intertwines his hand with mine. I look out at the waves. They're calm, slowly lapping over each other in ripples of aqua, the sky is clear blue, the clouds are the purest white and appear fluffy and soft, bring me piece of mind.

"So." I kick a pebble, looking down at my feet, nervously.

"So," Jacob smirks, nudging me playfully. "What's on your mind, butterfly?"

My lips curl up as I think of my childhood nickname courtesy of the kids down at the reservation- they call me 'butterfly', because I'm always flying away, seeking new adventures, searching for the next chapter of my story, my legacy.

"You told me a story last year about wolves and 'the cold ones." I use bunny-ear quote marks as I speak these words. "Could you please tell me more about it?"

Jacob looks bewildered, but shrugs it off. "Alright," He flings a wooden log down next me, and I crouch myself down to sit upon it.

"So, the quileute tribe are supposedly descended from wolves, and well the Cullens.... they resemble 'the cold ones'. They're cold, like ice, deathly pale, hard as marble and their looks are bewitching. It is long thought amongst our Elders that the Cullens have been here a lot longer than a few years." He summaries. I must look dumbfounded, because he starts to shake my shoulders, gently.
"Hey, Swan. It's just a story." Sickness overwhelms me as I breath in the fresh sea breeze.
──────✧❅✦❅✧──────
"What happened to you down at the res?" Bella's eyebrows crinkle as she observes me with worry. She puts her hood up, because of course the rain is back.

"It's nothing." I downplay it as we head into the office of Forks High.

"What can I do for you, honey?" An elderly woman peers at me over her thin golden glasses, I put my papers out onto the counter.

"I wanted to take Design and Graphics, so I have to change biology class, apparently." I huff. She nods in acknowledgment and taps away on her computer. After that, she scribes a room number and teacher's name onto a slip of paper : 'Mr Molina, Room 046'

Bella peeps over my shoulder at the paper. "That's my class! You won't believe who you'll have to sit next to!"

"If you're going to say what I think you're go-."

"It's Edward Cullen!" She smirks at me, slyly, knowing just being in the same room as him drives me out of my freaking mind.

Oh, dear god.

Sure enough, there he sits. His bronze hair in a sleepy style, his eyes syrupy gold and his features sweet and boyish.

God, he's handsome.

His head shoots up; he clock my presence and flashes me a lopsided smirk. Oh, shit. He reads minds, right.

There is only me, Bella and Edward in the classroom, we're early.

Settling into the seat beside Edward, I notice a small bird hopping around on the window ledge beside him.

"Hey, Cullen. Can you hold that bird in place for me?" He nods, smiling at me. Carefully, he lifts the bird.

"This little darling has a broken foot." I stroke the bird, affectionately as Edward holds the bird in place. I unzip my rucksack and take out a gauze. "I have these because my twin and I are very clumsy, so's our mom, must be hereditary." I explain. Delicately, I hold the birds foot and wrap the gauze around it. "That's it, sweetheart. Not much longer." I grab a wooden stick from the tray of beakers and stirrers to prop up the birds leg.

"We need to put the bird somewhere so it can't fly away." I inform Edward, he hands me the bird, and then he gets up and leaves the room.

What is he doing?

He soon returns with a tiny wooden crate. "Supply closet." He coughs, taking his seat next to me, yet again.

"Bella, can I have your scissors, please?" I see scissors in her transparent pencil case. My twin sister walks over to me and passes me her scissors.

Handing, the bird back to Edward, I poke breathing holes into the crate, and lift up the tiny 'door' on the left side of it. Edward eases the bird into the crate.

"I'll call the vets after school, but the little one should be feeling a little better now." I smile softly.

"You're quite a natural healer, very nurturing." Edward observes, his eyes morphing into an even warmer shade.