❀⊱┄┄┄┄ Forty-six: Feeling Guilty ┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰ ❀

FORTY SIX:  FEELING GUILTY

THE FLUROSCENT SIGN OF THE MOTEL BURNS MY IRISES, WHICH HAVE BECOME ACCUSTOMED TO THE DARK OF THE NIGHT

Upon reaching the cracked oak reception desk, a man with shaggy, greasy locks of auburn and a face full of clogged pores offers a chilling smile, his few remaining teeth appear to be gradually blackening.

The reception is white with nothing in it, except the desk and a few white chairs with ripped spongy cushions on them to sit on top of.

It's the last place you'd expect the Cullens to stay, which fits with the plan.

"Booking under the name Jade Masen." Alice says with my duffle bag on her shoulder. I suppress a smile at the clever melding of Edward and I's names, my middle name and his original surname. I linger slightly behind the two, dragging my case along.

"Room 666." The man issues a disturbing grin, holding out a frayed key card to Jasper.

Oh, fantastic! As if this situation couldn't get any more ominous and frightening, our motel room number is the devil's signature.

"Oh, and if you need anything," He adds, letting his dull granite coloured  eyes pervertedly roam over Alice and I's bodies. "You know where I am."

Normally, I would dish out a smart ass remark to such a disgusting pervert; I'm too exhausted and drained for that right now.

Jasper snatches the card from him so harshly that I'm shocked the man's hand hasn't detached from his body, Jasper hisses at him, protectively through gritted teeth. He slings one arm over each of us. I didn't think Jasper much cared for my wellbeing or how I was treated, but I'm seeing a kind, humane side to the most 'monstrous' of the family today.

In the elevator, Alice takes one of her slender, marble fingers and presses the button for the sixth floor. I expect it to be a minute or two of awkward silence; Jasper speaks, his eyes on me.
"You're wrong, you know."

Wrong about what, exactly?

I furrow my eyebrows at the golden haired man, bewildered and unsure what to say, so I toy with the handle on my burgundy suitcase to distract myself from his focused gaze.

"I feel what you feel. You feel like you aren't worth the trouble, like we should just sacrifice you." He continues. My pupils dilate, I wasn't expecting this conversation to arise.

"Well, yes." I agree, looking up from the suitcase and towards Jasper Hale. "My family, my friends, all of you guys would be safe. It's a small price to pay."