❀⊱┄┄┄┄twenty-three: fish pies ┄┄┄┄┄┄⊰ ❀

TWENTY - THREE: FISH PIES

Filler Chapter

•❅──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

──────✧❅✦❅✧──────❅•

After convincing my dad to book the day off, it's finally time to prepare him for the fabulous world of the culinary arts.

This morning was pretty boring, I exchanged a couple of texts with Edward, and a few of the humans at Forks High.

Once I'd gotten up, Bella had already made us some egg muffins and cups of tea.
After eating and getting fully ready, through following my self care routine and changing into some black sweat pants and a white jumper with a silver wolf on the front, idly, I lounged on the sofa, watching Charmed.

Right now, it's almost 4 in the afternoon, and Charlie has just arrived home from his fishing trip with Harry Clearwater.

He hangs up his fishing rod on one the hooks, beside the door, and with his other hand, he's holding a green, netting-lined sack.

"Catch anything good?" I ask my dad with an enthuastic smile, as I practically bounce off of the sofa and walk over to my dad.

"You bet I did, Kid. I wanna use these ones for the pie!" He gestures towards a few haddocks.

"Sure. Okay, I'm sure you know you need to do this, but make sure you clean them and then skin them." I tell him, pulling the printed recipe sheet that I had printed out earlier that day.

Charlie squints, placing the sack on the floor near the kitchen counters, a pool of sea water spills out onto the floor, before pulling his reading glasses out from his shirt pocket and putting them on.

After spending about five minutes with the paper almost pressed to his face, he finally takes in the first steps. He preheats the oven, and I start peeling the potatoes, whilst he peels the carrots.

"I'm actually cooking! Your mom thought this day would never come!" He chuckles, proudly.

"I'm really proud of you, Dad."

"I couldn't do this without you, Em!" He smiles at me, whilst I help him scrape the carrot strands into the tray, and add parsley to the mix, too.

"Well, you could but it wouldn't be the same experience, now, would it?" I pat his hand, affectionately with my own, when he puts his palm flatly onto the counter.

We chop up the haddock together, and I tell him what he could add for flavour, such as lemon juices and black pepper, whichever he wants to add, we'll add.

"Dad, drain those potatoes, please." I say to him, and approach the cupboard to retrieve salt, pepper and some olive oil.

"Now that these have been added to the potatoes, what's next?" Charlie asks, pouring out some olive oil onto the drained potatoes, before mashing them and layering the fish, vegetables and mash.

"That's one fish pie, pops. Just put it in the oven for around three-quarters of an hour and you're set. I'll just make sure everyone won't be long. There's a berry cobbler, courtesy of the diner, in the refrigerator for dessert."

His smile grows even wider, as he claps his hands together, for a brief moment.
"Well, that's an opportunity to have a nap, after I've set the timer! Thank you for this."

Flashing my dad a fleeting grin, I retreat to my bedroom and dial my sister's phone number.

"Bells, we've made plenty of fish pie, you should've seen Dad's face, he's so proud of himself." I beam, whilst I tell her this.

"We'll set off back to the house soon, Jake's done some work on the truck, the radio is in top condition, as I'm sure you'll be happy to hear!" Bella informs me. Jacob Black, you goddamn lifesaver, no more shitty mornings full of white noise!

"That boy is a blessing! Thanks, Jake!" I raise the pitch of my voice, in the hopes that my friend is able to hear my words of appreciation.

"No sweat, butterfly, make sure I get the biggest slice of pie as a thank you!" He chirps up, with a cheeky tone to his voice.

All three of us laugh together, before saying our farewells.

Then, I dial up Jack Frost's number.

"Emerson, wondering if I'm coming tonight?" Edward guesses, his tone ironically warm.

"oh, you're having me on, you can read minds through the freaking phone?"

"Maybe, maybe not, I'll leave that to your imagination." In a playful tone, he taunts me. This is what I like about my bond with him; Edward seems serious but with me, it's like his heart grows light and his icy soul sparks with a calming heat.

"Whatever." I giggle down the phone line, rolling my eyes at his remark. "Are you coming or not?"

"Of course, I am." He answers, pointedly.

"I gotta warn you though, my Dad's got like 50 loaded weapons stashed all over the place, so don't be a dick." I say to him, with a little laugh towards the end of my sentence.

"I'm a vampire."

"And?" I retort, lazily fiddling with my pearl bracelet that sits upon my wrist. "Charlie Swan can be an intimidating human being when it comes to his daughters, don't underestimate that, Cullen."

"Noted. I won't be long, Emerson."

× author's note×

hi,
i hope you liked this new chapter, it's good to write this, again.

please vote and comment