1

October 8th, 2017

Harry was sat at the dining room table with a pencil in one hand and his calculator in the other. He was trying to get some work done before dinner, but sadly he wasn't too good with math.

His mother stood in the kitchen making dinner, and his father was at work, like always.

This was the moment that he heard his mother call out to him. "Love, I've been wanting to speak with you about something."

Harry sighed and stood up, walking into the kitchen and leaning against the counter. "What?" He looked like he'd rather be anywhere else but there, hands in the pockets of his black skinny's.

She was now leant over the sink, straining water out of some spaghetti noodles. "Well, your father and I were talking..." she didn't finish what she was saying, seemingly a bit nervous.

Harry groaned. "What, are you sending me off to camp again? Cause I'm way too old for that now mum." He let out a bemused chuckle.

His mother scoffed. "No we're not sending you to camp again." She defended, acting like that was something she hadn't considered before.

"Then what's this about?" He was growing impatient.

"Well," she started to stir the spaghetti sauce. "The thing is, the house has been too quiet since Gemma moved to California, and we thought it'd be a good idea to allow a foreign exchange student to move in for a couple of years while they attend your school. Kind of like another brother or sister for you."

Harry's eyes widened. "And you're serious about that?" he laughed, thinking it may be some kind of joke.

But his mum nodded. " Yes, Harry. It would be good for our family to learn about other cultures, and it'd be good for you because maybe for once you can make a real friend."

Harry looked offended, crossing his arms. "I have lots of friends mum, I'm captain of the football team for God's sake."

"No. You've got a bunch of fake friends, there's a difference." She said pointedly.

Harry shrugged. "They're fine, calm down mum. I don't think we need to let some stranger live with us for a couple of years just because you think I don't have good mates."

His mother was now looking at him instead of paying attention to cooking. "Well it's too late, because whoever it is will be here tomorrow morning."

Harry's jaw dropped. This was stupid to him. Now whenever he'd come home it would always be awkward and uncomfortable because a foreign stranger would be living with them. They could be a murderer or a sociopath or maybe even a prissy little girl.

"And you guys weren't going to tell me until they got here." He deadpanned.

His mother shook her head. "It was going to be a surprise but I thought it'd be nice to give you a heads up to comb your hair and shower tomorrow morning before you meet them."

Harry sighed and nodded. "Yeah. Thanks mum." He said sarcastically before he went into his room and shut the door.

His homework laid on the table forgotten, until he remembered it was due tomorrow and brought it upstairs to finish it at his desk. He couldn't let himself fail, or else he couldn't play on the team.

After he finished that mess, he laid on his bed and took his phone out so that he could text his girlfriend.

To Lizzy💋: hey babe guess what

She responded quickly like she always did.

From Lizzy💋: what??

To Lizzy💋: my mum decided to get us a foreign exchange student, I guess he or she is coming tomorrow. gonna be living with a stranger from now on.