chapter 5 - dangerous

~your p.o.v~

I heard a car pull up behind us. All of us turned around and I was filled with dread when I recognized the car. 

A blue mustang.

My brother. 

"Oh shit." I whispered under my breath. Thomas stood next to me and we all tried to act natural.

Bob got out of the car with his friends, seeming quite upset to have caught me, Cherry, and Marcia with greasers.

"Oh, so you're with the greasers now just because I got a little drunk-" I scoffed and rolled my eyes at his words.

"A little drunk? You were stumbling around, you could barely walk! I already told you I won't go out with you when you're drunk and I mean it! I mean it!" Cherry yelled. 

"I agree with Cherry. I'm sick of going out and looking for you when you don't come home at night. Our parents won't do it, they'll let you do whatever you want. But I'm sick of worrying all night thinking you're dead, Bob." I added. Bob looked at me and now he was the one scoffing.

"All you do is look for me just so you can put me in my place." He spat. I gave him a look of disbelief.

"Yeah, because if I didn't come looking for you and I didn't tell you how... How stupid you were being, you'd be dead by now!" I shouted. 

He rolled his eyes and shoved past me, causing me to stumble to the side. He looked at Two-bit, Johnny and Ponyboy.

"We can take them on-" Two-bit began, but I cut him off.

"Don't." I muttered, my eyes never leaving Bob. I tried to warn Two-bit but he had already said it.

"No, I hate fighting! I hate it!" Cherry snapped. 

"Listen, Bob. You should just get outta here." I growled, becoming face to face with him. He looked down at me and gave me a smirk.

"You think I'm gonna listen to my little sister? You don't scare me." I could smell the alcohol on his breath. 

"I would listen to your sister." I heard a new voice speak up behind Bob. All of us looked to see who it was.

Robert Porter. 

He walked over, his cold eyes never leaving Bob. We all watched him silently in awe. 

I backed up, allowing him to now come face to face with my brother. 

"Another greaser, huh?" My brother growled, staring Robert down. Robert was around the same height as Bob, so neither of them were towering over the other.

Yet, it felt like Robert was towering over my brother. He radiated danger. Just like Dallas, he had been to jail many times. He was a hood. 

"You better leave if you know what's good for you." Robert spoke calmly. I looked to my brother with pleading eyes. As much as my brother was irritated with me, as much as he despised me, I just wanted him to listen. I didn't want to see him get hurt.

"Please don't fight. We'll go with you if it means you guys won't fight." Cherry decided to compromise. My brother looked to me, along with everyone else. I shook my head, telling him that I wasn't going with him. He could care less anyway, he just wanted to get his girlfriend to come with him. 

"Fine." He spat.

Cherry turned to Ponyboy, a look of guilt on her face.

"Listen, if I see you in school and don't say hi, please don't take it personal." The look in her eyes was silently begging him not to be upset. 

"I... I hope I never see Dallas Winston again. If I do, I'll probably fall in love with him."

My eyes widened at that. The thought of that made my heart race. If Dallas Winston stole my brother's girlfriend, there would be no doubt about it that there would be a conflict between them. He already just had a conflict with the  Robert Porter. He would for sure get himself killed or at least badly hurt. 

Cherry walked away with Marcia, both of them getting into the car with a look of defeat and sadness on their faces.

 I watched the car with a harsh glare, shaking my head in disapproval. 

"He's gonna get himself killed." I muttered sadly. Thomas gently put an arm around my shoulders and I leaned into him, still feeling bitter from arguing with my brother and watching him confront one of the most dangerous people around. 

"Hey, Y/n." Robert spoke up. I stopped walking, causing Thomas to drop his arm from around my shoulders. 

"What." It came out more as a dull statement.

"Could I talk to you for a second?" He questioned. I looked to everyone else and signaled for them to continue walking without me. 

I leaned against the fence and Robert stood in front of me.

"I haven't seen you around in a long time." He broke the silence. I simply shrugged and looked to the side. 

"Yeah, been busy keeping my brother out of trouble and focusing on school. Haven't had much time to come to places like the drive-in." I mumbled. Robert chuckled.

"Years later and you're still keeping your grades up?" He asked. I sighed and looked at him.

"I used to keep my grades up to try and impress my parents so I could be the favorite kid. Once I realized they'd never view me the way they saw Bob, I just found a different reason to keep up the good grades. They'll never praise me like they do with my brother, you know." I explained. Robert simply nodded. 

"What's your reason to keep up your grades now?" He asked me. 

"Maybe I can be sent off to college. I just... I need to get out of here," I answered. He nodded again.  

"I heard you talked to Thomas about him tutoring you, is that true?" It was my turn to question him.

"Yeah, I guess you could say I wanna get out of here, too." He gave me a smirk. I smiled a bit back. 

I looked ahead to see where everyone had gone. They had walked a bit further, just out of ear-shot to respect my privacy, but they still were being nice and waiting.

"Well, I should probably go. Everyone's waiting for me." I told him. Robert looked at them. 

"Hanging out with greasers and  socs? Never heard of that before." Robert stated. I shrugged.

"My brother beat that Johnny kid pretty good. I feel bad, he's a good kid. Him and his friend Ponyboy are nice, and Two-bit's real funny. If we didn't have different labels, I could see myself getting along with a lot of the greasers around here real good." My gaze didn't leave the group. 

"You met Dallas Winston?" This question caught me by surprise. 

"Unfortunately." I muttered. Robert smirked again. 

"Shocked he didn't manage to charm you." He teased. I rolled my eyes. 

"Dallas Winston is nothing but trouble. Guess you guys have that in common." I looked up at Robert. 

"If I were you, I'd be careful of him. He's dangerous and he's known for always getting what he wants." Robert informed me. 

"What, he your competition or something?" 

"Something like that." Robert shoved his hands in the pockets of his leather jacket.

"Alright. Well I really gotta go now." I told him. His hand grabbed my arm briefly for a moment.

"Will I see you around?" He asked. Chills ran through me by the contact. There was a certain danger to talking to him in the first place. A soc and one of the most well-known greasers around. An odd combination, really.

"You never know." I smirked at him. He bit his lip and released my arm from his grip. I walked off, deciding that our conversation was over. 

My mind was focused on two things when I was walking away; the safety of my brother and two certain greasers.