chapter 66 - moment of bravery

~your p.o.v~

"Pity the backseat." I spoke harshly and Dal chuckled next to me, making it clear he was surprised by my behavior.

"Do you even know how to use that knife, girly?" One of them asked.

"Yeah, I do. Now get outta here." I demanded. They all looked at each other and laughed.

"I don't think you can." One from the backseat spoke up.

"Why, you wanna test that theory?" I asked, spinning the knife between my fingers as I stared at them. They all towered over me and I tried to ignore the loud heartbeat in my ears.

"Wait a minute... You're Y/n, aren't you? Y/n Sheldon!" The soc stepped towards me and I fought to stand my ground.

"What's it to you?"

"What are you doing with some trash like this?" He motioned to Dallas, all of the sudden not interested in fighting.

"He's not trash. If anything you're the real trash, pal."

"Awe, well isn't this quite a sight? Our own little goodie two shoes, Y/n Sheldon hangin around a boy like Dallas Winston." The boy grabbed the collar of my shirt and pulled me close to his face. Dallas took a step forward.

"You're not one of them, Y/n." The boy mumbled. I glared daggers at him.

"You don't know what you're talking about."

"Admit it. You don't belong here."

"How about you get your dirty fucking hands off of me." I growled, spitting on him. His grip on me loosened and I looked at Dallas. He seemed taken aback.

"You're dead, greasers!"

"Oh, shit." The phrase passed Dal's lips until suddenly there was a stinging sensation on my cheek and I stumbled backwards and bumped into Dallas, who steadied me all the while giving the boys a death glare.

"Don't you ever fucking spit at me!" The boy yelled.

"I can do whatever I want!" I yelled back.

The two boys outside of the car charged at us and I was quick on my feet and managed to dodge the fist flying at me. Dallas wasn't so lucky and got socked in the jaw.

"Fuck fuck fuck-" I mumbled to myself as I stood back up, facing the boy coming at me.

"All bark and no bite." He smirked.

I swung my fist at the boy, nailing him in the nose. He let out a groan of pain, his hand flying up to his nose.

The two other boys in the car didn't get out, but instead yelled words of encouragement to their friends.

"I'm gonna fucking kill you." The boy hissed, running at me. I tried to run but was backed up into the fence.

He punched me in the stomach hard and I collapsed onto my hands and knees, the blunt force to my stomach making me feel sick.

I couldn't help it. I threw up, my body feeling like it was going to give up. I looked up and saw the boy laughing to himself. I turned to see how Dallas was doing and saw that he was still putting up a fight with the other boy and wasn't focusing on me.

I shakily brought myself back up to my feet, a moan of pain leaving my lips.

"Back for more?"

"Yep." I muttered weakly, trying to steady myself better. I used all of the energy in me and threw a punch at his jaw, my fist colliding. I knew my fists would hurt later once the adrenaline decided to wear off.

I got my punch in and he still wouldn't drop to the ground. He just stopped momentarily to rub his jaw.

I was then met with a fist to the jaw as well and I fell backwards into the fence. I slid to the ground, squeezing my eyes shut as tears of pure agony threatened to spill. Why did I have to run my mouth and get myself in this situation? I really fucked this up.

The boy straddled me once I was down and threw another punch at my face, trapping me against the ground. I yelped as his fist cut my lip.

I was dizzy and felt nauseous. I didn't think I could take another punch, it was all too much.

I remembered my knife and struggled to reach into my pocket. I managed to grab it and sliced the boys leg. The boy let out a cry but hit the knife out of my hand. It skidded across the concrete and out of my reach.

"No!" I yelled, reaching out towards it desperately.

"It's over, low life." The boy muttered.

"Well for what it's worth, you've got a great arm." I spoke breathlessly and struggled to get the words out, referring to the damage he had done to me. If I was gonna get my ass beat I might as well try to make it as light-hearted as possible.

"I gotta warn you though, if you punch me in the gut again I promise you I'll throw up and that won't be pretty." I groaned, my jaw hurting.

The boy in return strikes me right in the eye with his fist. I cry out, bringing my hand up to my throbbing eye. I would for sure have a black eye.

It felt like everything was spinning and my vision split and I had double vision. The boy above me appeared to multiply and I knew I was truly losing this fight.

The boy was thrown off of me and Dallas picked up the knife, holding it up to the boy.

"You and your friends better get on out of here, you hear me?" Dallas spoke lowly. I watched from the ground, the world still spinning.

The boys left, none of them in the mood to get stabbed. Dallas kneeled down next to me and pulled me into his lap. I lied there, chuckling to myself.

"Well that sucked." I said. He laughed to himself and grabbed my hand. 

"Well, if it makes you feel any better you looked badass mouthing off to those guys."

"God, I love you." I said, laughing. Dallas tensed up and I immediately realized what I said. I sat up quickly, a cry of pain passing my lips but I ignored the pain for now.

~third person's p.o.v~

"Shit, ignore what I said, I'm sorry-"

"Hey woah, easy. Don't worry about it." Dallas tried to comfort the girl freaking out in front of him.

"I'm sorry to just blurt that out, I really didn't mean to make this weird." She sighed. Dallas leaned over to her and wiped some blood from her lip.

"That was real brave of you to tell me." Dallas laughed to himself.

"Yeah, it was also real stupid." Y/n muttered, avoiding eye contact.

"Well you had your brave moment. I'll have mine too at some point, don't worry about it." Dallas assured her, smiling. Y/n smiled up at him, too.

He pecked her lips, a form of comforting her.

He was successful in making her feel better, but despite the smile on his face and the words he had said, he felt guilt in the pit of his stomach. He felt bad, for he didn't think his moment of bravery would ever come. He didn't know if he'd ever be ready to tell the girl in front of him how he felt.