chapter 22 - memories while walking home

~your p.o.v~

I let out a laugh into the cold evening air, Two-bit walking next to me with a grin on his face. His leather jacket was draped over my shoulders, since he insisted I wear it since I hadn't brought a jacket at all. 

Two-bit had offered to walk me home and I gladly accepted, happy to spend more time with him. I hadn't known him long but he was definitely becoming one of my new closest friends. I didn't know if he saw me as one of his close friends, or even a friend at all. Either way, I was still happy to be able to spend time with him. 

We continued to crack jokes, our shoulders occasionally brushing together from us walking so close. I felt at home just talking with him, it felt as if I had known him my whole life. A part of me wanted to stay in this moment forever, to completely forget about my side of the tracks and just stay here forever with Two-bit and the gang. I wanted to be able to spend the rest of my life with these boys. I hadn't known them long but they had made me feel more welcome than I had ever felt before. The only other person to make me feel this happy was Thomas. 

"So, what's up with you and Dally?" Two-bit asked, nudging my shoulder with his and smirking at me. I tried to hold back the small smile making it's way onto my face.

"What do you mean?" I acted oblivious, looking down at my feet and kicking a pebble along the sidewalk. 

"Well, when I walked out and saw you two it seemed like you guys were about to..." He trailed off and I looked up at him as he wiggled his eyebrows at me. I rolled my eyes.

"No, we weren't." I laughed, my gaze going back down to the ground. I heard Two-bit chuckle next to me.

"You sure? Because it looked like it." He taunted. I dramatically gasped.

"Are you implying that I'm lying about the events that played out between Dallas and me?" I gave him a fake hurt expression and he put his hands up in surrender. I shot him a smile.

"I'm just messin with ya." I mumbled. 

We fell into a silence for a moment until I remembered a question that I had for him earlier. 

"Oh yeah, what kind of records do you want me to bring over tomorrow?" I asked. His face lit up as he seemed to remember the talk we were having previously about records. 

"I don't know, just bring over whatever you wanna listen to." He answered, shrugging. I nodded, taking a mental note to look through my records either tonight or tomorrow before I left to go to the Curtis home. 

My attention was taken away from the conversation when we walked by a loud building. My pace slowed for a moment as I looked at the red light radiating from the building, the music blaring, and the sound of voices chattering from inside. 

"What's that place? I've walked by it before but I never knew what it was." I asked, my gaze still focused on the building. By now Two-bit and I had completely stopped walking. 

"That's Buck's bar. Dally actually lives there, in a spare room." Two-bit explained. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked up at Two-bit.

"You mean he lives in a loud bar that's crowded and loud during the night? Does he ever sleep?" I questioned. Two-bit shrugged and chuckled. 

"No one knows what Dal does when he's off by himself. Probably trying to pick up a broad or somethin'." Two-bit told me. I stayed silent, not sure what to say about that. My eyes lingered on the bar for a moment more before I turned away from it, continuing to walk in the direction of my side of town. 

"I didn't mean to make you upset, I think Dallas really-" Two-bit was cut off by someone else joining the conversation. 

"Wow, seems like we keep running into each other, huh?" I spun around to come face to face with Robert. I felt a bit of nervousness bubble up inside me, my thoughts going back to my conversation with my older brother. He reminded me of how badly Robert had hurt me, and now I felt anxious being face to face with him again. 

"Hey, Robert." I smiled awkwardly. Robert had a cigarette hanging from his mouth, looking down at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes. The same mischievous glint in his eyes that had made me intrigued by him in the first place back in middle school, the same look in his eyes that had made me fall in love with him. 

"So I guess I was right, huh? You really are hanging around greasers?" He asked. I nodded, biting my lip out of habit. He chuckled, running a hand through his greased back hair.

"Well, I'll be damned. Never thought you had it in ya to be hanging around these side of the tracks again." Robert spoke. I shrugged. 

"What can I say? I like the people over here better than most of the people over on my side of town." I stated. 

"Just never saw you as the type. Ever since the beginning of high school you've been nothing but a goodie two shoes." He said. I felt my heart skip a beat when he used the term goodie two shoes about me. It reminded me of when I confessed my feelings to him.

"I like you." I blurted out. I was sitting on the curb next to Robert, both of us sitting with bottles of soda that he had talked me into stealing with him. He let out a sigh, crushing his cigarette under his foot, not looking at me and instead staring straight ahead.

"Nah, no you don't." He told me. It was as if he thought that if he said that I would magically stop liking him, all of this would just go away. But it wouldn't, and we both knew it.

I was taken aback by his answer, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

"Yeah, I do." I insisted. He sighed, now making eye contact with me. 

"Listen, Y/n. I don't know what I did to make you fall for me or whatever, but you gotta understand that you and me? That, that'd never happen. I'm a greaser and you're just some... Some goodie two shoes soc. We'd never hear the end of it, Y/n! I mean you're Bob Sheldon's little sister-"

I had heard enough. I stood up abruptly, anger fueling my movements.

"So that's all I am to you, huh? Some soc, just Bob Sheldon's little sister?" I asked in disbelief, staring down at him. He chuckled to himself, shrugging. He looked up at me.

"I mean what do you want me to say?"

I shook my head in disbelief. I didn't want to cry. I wasn't going to cry. When he first rejected me I wanted to cry but now I realize he didn't deserve to see my tears.

"If I'm being honest, I don't know what I wanted you to say. But... I never expected this and now I realize you're nothing like who I thought you were." I spoke coldly. I turned away, beginning to walk away when I heard him quickly scramble to his feet, jogging behind me to catch up to me since I was speed walking.

"Oh come on, don't be like that! It's not you, it's just bein' with a soc like you would wreck my reputation!" He called. He grabbed my arm and spun me around to him. I violently yanked my arm away from him, glaring at him.

"Don't fucking touch me, alright! You're so conceited, so egotistical!" I shouted. He scoffed and rolled his eyes.

"Wow, those are some big words you're using." He said sarcastically.

"You know what, just... Don't talk to me anymore, alright? I wouldn't want someone like me to mess up your perfect reputation."

"Oh, my pleasure." He growled. I bit my lip, feeling tears well up in my eyes. I turned away, this time walking away without hearing frantic footsteps following my path.

I pushed the memory away, immediately feeling a bit uneasy by the presence of Robert.

Has Robert changed, or am I just making the same mistakes again?