Day 6: Apart From Each Other

AN: Ten minutes before midnight! I made it!

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Geno should've known it was too good to be true.

Death haven't visited him in the café, nor in his apartment, for at least three days. He just simply stop coming without a word. Geno was starting to think that maybe he did something wrong.

Or just Death simply lost interest in him.

Geno sighed as he stared out the floor-to-ceiling glass window. The sky was dark and cloudy, washing everything with dull gray light, in contrast to the cafe's cozy yellow lights. It was cold, the air was moist signifying that a rain was coming.

The majority of the customers have already left home. Not wanting to be caught outside by the incoming downpour.

Geno sat on one of the cushioned seat, by the window, propped his elbows over the table and rested his head on the palm of his hands. He looked outside the colorless, nearly empty street, just in time for the rain to come as small droplets of water hit the glass window.

His co-workers definitely noticed the sudden change in the small glitched skeleton and they were worried. Blue have been trying to cheer him up for days with encouraging and reassuring words.

Same goes for his boss, Muffet, who would occasionally asked him if he needed a break. Geno would always declined her offer politely. Saying that he was alright. When clearly, he's not.

Another sigh escaped Geno's teeth as he folded his arms over the table and buried his face on them.

Now this made the others even more concern. Geno have been way too quiet ever since Death stopped visiting him. He rarely talks and smile anymore. He always looked tired and... hopeless.

A slice of cake was gently placed on his table and Geno looked up when he heard the soft tap sound of ceramic plate against wooden table.

"You should eat." Blue offered with a gentle smile and pushed the fork into Geno's hand. Practically forcing him to do what he told him to do.

Geno was unfazed by such crude action. He knew very well that it was out of concern. But still.

Geno eyed the cake that was served to him, a strawberry shortcake, one of his favorites, as Blue took the seat across from him. Watching him with anticipation. Waiting for him to take a bite.

Blue wouldn't let this go, would he?

"I'm not hungry." Geno merely stated as he put the fork down. Blue was disappointed.

"But you haven't eaten anything all day." Blue reminded. He knows. He was watching him. Keeping an eye on him. "And yesterday, too. And the day before yesterday!" Blue was deeply worried for his friend.

"I just... didn't have much appetite." Geno half lied. Well, it is true that he doesn't feel like eating but the main cause of it was Death's absence.

"It's Death, isn't?" as if Blue have read his mind.

Geno nodded, there's no point in lying. He could feel the salty tears stinging his only visible eye, yet held it back from streaming down his cheek. Blue's stern gaze soften upon the sight.

"Maybe he's just busy. Y'know, it's not easy being the chief cop. That's a lot of work." Blue assured him. Trying to lighten up his mood even the slightest. And thank stars, he did.

Geno seems to accept that explanation for the chief's sudden disappearance and wiped his tears with his red scarf. Geno thanked Blue who grins proudly of himself.

Geno excused himself, asking Muffet for her permission to leave the café early. It was granted in an instant. Muffet was well aware of his condition.

Geno thanked her before proceeding to the locker room and changing into his usual attire.

Exiting through the back door, Geno pulled his hood up before walking through the rain to the bus stop. Upon arriving there, he took a shelter from the rain in the waiting area.

It didn't took long for the bus to arrive and he, and the others waiting with him, got in it. During the ride, the rain poured down heavier. Geno blankly stared out the window throughout the whole ride. He felt numb.

Cold and lifeless.

Like he just lost the will to do anything.

The bus stopped and he got off. From there was a short walk to his apartment building. Once again pulling hood up, he walked through the heavy downpour. He didn't even bother picking up his pace. He was already soaked anyway.

Halfway there, a sudden nausea hit him as he held his head. Thankfully it didn't last long.

Upon arriving at his destination, he went straight to the elevator but was stopped by the manager. Scolding him about he's not allowed to use the elevator if he's soaking wet.

Without a choice, Geno took the stairs.

Grave mistake.

He haven't even reached the third floor yet and he was already out of breath. His legs and knees ached as he heave for air. The nausea was back but he forced himself to go on. Telling himself that once he reached his place, he'll be fine.

He reached his floor level and he could barely stand. Leaning against the wall and shakily putting one foot in front of the other. His knees were trembling, his breath shaky and his vision were spinning.

He couldn't make it.

Thankfully, his neighbor's kid, Frisk, saw him and helped him the rest of the way.

"Thanks, kid." Geno breathlessly said, his voice raspy and weak.

Frisk asked if he will be fine and Geno said yes, so the kid reluctantly left. Geno closed the door, leaned against it and slowly slid down the floor as he catches his breath. Willing the nausea to go away.

He felt cold, exhausted and was about to puke. Yet managed to hold it in, but not for much longer.

He attempted to stood up on his shaky legs, using the wall for support.

He took two steps and his knees buckled under his weight. The world tipped before everything went dark.

To be continued...

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+