4. The FlashBack Part 2

Hartley's P.O.V:

I walk down to the particle accelerator just to check on it, although I have the feeling I was followed. I ignored it and entered. After several checks and writing down statistics I decide to leave.

"Now what were you doing in my particle accelerator?" Says Harrison.

"I thought it was our accelerator..." I answer, the look on Harrison's face says enough. "Because it will be our fault if we turn this thing on and blow a hole in Central City." I turn my head a bit trying to convince him as much as possible. He says something back in Latin but I don't even listen. When I did my checks I came across huge flaws in the accelerator.

"You are wagering the lives of everyone in this building. Everyone in this city. If you don't have the courage to admit you could be wrong, I will do it for you." I say and walk past him.

"Hartley Rathaway." I see 4 guards walk towards me, I turn back to Harrison. "Your position at Star Labs is terminated." He continues.

"If you think you can shut me up..."

"Oh, I know I can Hartley. Because if you breathe one word of any kind of unsubstantiated accusation I'll make sure the only job you get in physics is teaching it to high school juniors." He walks closer to me to make it feel more threatning.

I sigh, knowing that there's nothing more I can do. I turn around and walk away with the guards.

Riley's P.O.V:

I look around but I can't see him anywhere. When I can't find him he's mostly in my dad's office so I decide to look there, but when I arrive I see he isn't there. Only my dad is.

"Hey dad, have you seen Hartley anywhere?" I aks him.

He looks up from his work and gives me a worrying look. He stands up and walks towards me.

"Sweetie, I don't know how to tell you this but..." He quickly turns his head away and back to me again. "Hartley can no longer work at Star Labs after some vexing circomstances."

"Wh-what why?" I look at him in shock.

"Unfortunatly, that is information I'm not allowed to share."

"I can't imagine Hartley would do something so bad that it would get him fired and that I can't even know about it." I raise my voice. I see my dad wants to say something but I walk away before he could.

"Riley! Riley please!..." I hear him yell behind me, his voice fades with every step I take.

I walk out of the building and take a cap to Hartley's appartement. I take out the keys he gave to me not long ago and open the door. Hartley is sitting on the sofa with a beer in his hand. He never drinks beer.

"Hey." I say softly.

"Oh hey." He answers.

"I heared what happened."

"Did you hear the whole story?" He asks.

I look at him, he takes my expression as an answer.

"You're father, fired me because I'm the only one who sees the danger in the particle accelerator. What it could do to peoples lifes, how he's wagering peoples lifes. And he threatened me not to say anything." He takes a large sip of his beer.

I quickly take the beer out of his hand, knowing he doesn't really tolerate alcohol very well. I feel rage flowing trough my veins. How could he? I put the beer on the table and start walking towards the door.

"Hey where are you going?" Hartley shouts.

"I'm going to see my dad and talk some sense into him!" I walk away.

I'm back at Star Labs, there are many people in front of the building. Oh no! My dad, he turned on the particle accelerator! I run into the building and look around until I find my dad.

"Dad, what the hell! Turn off the particle accelerator."

"I see Hartley told you." He smiles. My facial expression changes, I'm about to lose my temper. My dad really knows how to piss me off.

"Now you've got to listen to me very closely for once!..." I get cut off.

I hear an enormous explosion, I get blown of my feet to the other side of the room until my back hits the wall and I fall on the ground. Everything got black...