32. Flashpoint Part 1

I slowly open my eyes, a little ray of light passes through my curtains and my hands glide over the soft fabric of my comforter. I look at the clock and it says 7.12 A.M. My alarm isn't supposed to go off for at least 15 minutes before I have to get ready to go to work. I decide not to wait for my alarm and get out of bed. I walk downstairs and see that my mom and dad are already sitting at the kitchen table having breakfast. I join them.

"Hey honey, ready to go to work?" My mom asks. I sigh as an answer. I really, really hate my summer job. I'll be happy when I can go back to MIT at the start of the new school year.

"We know you don't like your job but it will look really good on your resume. Not everyone gets the chance to work for such a big company during the summer holidays." My dad says.

"Yeah I know." I answer quietly it almost sounds like a whisper. I eat my breakfast in silence, busy mentally preparing myself for another day at that hell hole. When I'm done I put my dishes in the sink and say goodbye to my parents. I close the front door behind me and feel the cool summer morning breeze. I take a deep breath and start walking. I look around while walking, I wonder how many people feel the same way as I do right now, dreading to go to work and spend another meaningless day. My eyes fall on a young man, he's walking next to a woman that seems about the same age as him, and a weird sensation falls over me. It's as if I know them even though I have never seen them before. They're both carrying a coffee cup from Jitters and the man seems a little awkward, they're probably on a date or something. He's walking rather fast, maybe because of the nerves or maybe he's just a fast walker. The woman is tall, has brown skin and dark, long hair that falls on her shoulders beautifully. She's really pretty. I get why the guy is nervous. They both look so familiar, yet so unfamiliar. I almost walk into a street light because I wasn't watching where I was going but when I looked back to their spot they were gone. I sigh and walk straight towards work. I stop in front of a big building that says 'Ramon Industries'. Here we go, you can do this Riley, I think to myself and walk inside. The place is absolutely crowded and people in lab coats are crossing each other everywhere. I try as hard as I can to avoid bumping into someone but without success. The papers I had been carrying drop to the floor. The person I bumped into bends down and picks them up. I jump backwards a little when I see his face.

"Oh, sorry. Here you go." The only good thing about working here at Ramon Industries is him. He smiles at me and I feel my stomach go crazy. He's wearing his usual round glasses and a black shirt that goes incredibly well on him.

"Oh, uh th-thanks." I say and I can feel my cheeks burn red. I look down to the ground to try and hide my embarrassment.

"See you around Riley." The way he says my name makes the butterflies in my stomach go wild, as if they want to escape. I smile faintly and quickly walk away before I completely embarrass myself in front of him. I push the highest button on the elevator which says 'Ramon's office' and before I know it I'm standing inside it.

"Good morning miss Wells, you see these records here," Mr. Ramon points to a huge pile of papers. "they all need to be sorted out by date, color, event etc, you know the drill. And no mistakes like last time please." He says almost desperately and sits own at his desk without looking me in the eyes. I take the huge pile which is even heavier than I imagined and carry it away to my desk located at the back of an old, tiny room with only one window. I click the light on and start dividing the big pile into multiple smaller piles.

Hours have passed and I'm not even halfway through. I look at the time on my laptop and see it says 12.34 P.M, which means lunch time. I rub my eyes that really needed a break and step into the well-lit hallway.

"Okay, I'll see you tonight." I hear a voice say at the end of the hallway. I recognize it immediately and turn towards him, right at that time I see him kiss who I imagine is his girlfriend and seeing this feels like someone punched me in the stomach and I walk away as quick as I can suppressing tears. I decide to take the stairs because no one else ever does. It's always quiet here. When I arrive at the cafeteria I take a plate and select my lunch for the day. I go for a slice of vegetable pizza, an apple and as a drink I choose a healthy smoothie. When I look around for a place to sit I see that the small tables are already filled, which means I have to go sit in front of someone. Then my eyes fall on him again. He's sitting all by himself waving, it kind of looks like he's waving to me. I look behind me but there's no one there, he points to the empty chair in front of him. I hesitate for a little while but start walking towards him, my mind is working really hard of ways to get myself out of this situation but I can't think of anything and so I put my plate and drink down and sit in front of him.

"Hey, how's your day?" He asks while enjoying a bite of his sandwich.

"Busy." Is the only thing I manage to get out of my mouth. I look down from his face to his chest where his name card is, he wrote his name down himself because I notice his beautiful handwriting, the letters are placed exactly straight and some of them have little curls on the end. He has the most handsome name ever... Hartley Rathaway.