Chapter 1 - Dealing with the bonds

~~~ Nancy deals with joining the pack

The next morning when Nancy woke she groaned due to the headache she still had. It was relatively mild, and she had a feeling most of it was due to feeling all the bonds in her mind. The pack was doing their best not to overwhelm her, but it was still happening. Almost worse was feeling her girls in her mind. Having them bothered her since she had no idea how to filter her thoughts. Not all of her thoughts and feelings were things they needed to know. It didn't matter if it was Anise though she had found her mate. Definitely not Amy since she hadn't reached that stage yet.

"Shoot me now please? If I'd realized the changes I might not have done it. Jed, I know you are sitting there and I'm going to yell at you." The worst part was there were several wolves she was interested in. Her girls didn't need to know about that and especially if she decided to do anything. She hadn't yet but that wasn't saying she didn't want some attention. She was still trying to figure out wolf relationships. She understood mates were inviolate unless both agreed. It was with the single wolves she was having trouble with. Rarely did they form long term relationships due to everything would be dropped when they found their mate.

Norli laughed, "Nope, not Jed. When he even thought about it het was yelled at by me. I told him he gets the diapers for the next week. I know you are going to have questions and figured I'd visit when you woke and answer what I can. For you it's going to be far more confusing that for your girls. You are an adult and they aren't. Besides Cedric and Anise are going to be focusing on each other. He'll help her learn the bonds. For Amy one of the elders is going to be teaching her. Now what questions do you have?" She was sitting in a rocking chair nursing one of their pups. She'd already nursed the other and he was asleep with Jed and the girls watching him.

Nancy sat up and stretched, "Thank goodness. Not sure I could have handled Jed being in here. I love what he's done for the girls, but it'd just feel really weird having him in her since he has a mate." When she smelled some coffee, she smiled and moved over to the table in her room and sipped on it, "Thanks. Right now, my biggest question is how the hell do I keep people out of my mind. Wolves might be used to it but I'm not. There are some thoughts I'd like to keep to myself."

Norli snorted at her, "Just because we grew up with the bonds doesn't mean are some sort of hive mind. Everyone has thoughts they want to keep private. Not infants or young children for the most part but anyone over six or seven will." She winked at her, "And especially if you find someone interesting or might be spending time with them."

She didn't even think before she started to toss a pillow at Norli. The only reason she didn't was due to the baby, "I'll let you wonder!" She turned a bit pink, "There might be, and I'd like to keep my thoughts private about him or her." She did threaten her with the pillow to make her point.

Norli gave her an understanding smile, "I completely understand and it's the same for most wolves. Even though we have fairly open relationships, it doesn't mean want it hanging out for everyone to know. It would eventually be known due to our senses, but few would say anything about it. Now as far as the filtering goes it's going to take some time, but I can show you the basics. You will be working with Amy and the Elder. Anise will occasionally be in there but as I mentioned Cedric will be doing a fair bit also."

"Thanks, Norli. All the stray thoughts are giving me a headache. It'd be nice not to have one and be a grumpy bitch for the next week." She rubbed her forehead as she was muttering.

The other woman had to laugh at the description, "Well become a wolf and one day a month and two weeks a year you have a valid excuse... Being totally serious you will have time off to learn the bonds until the Elder says you are good to go. I hate to sound bad but as you indicated, until you get used to them you will be grumpy. All humans tend to go through the same thing. It includes ones who grew up here."