Chapter 11 - May I help you?

~~~ The Mechanic

When he received the go ahead to deal with the woman, he pulled out some specialized equipment from a hidden cabinet. He sent a text to the shop manager letting him know he was going to be out of the shop part of the morning. He needed to be setup well before the SUV's arrived. He couldn't really follow them around very often and would only have a limited time to gather what information he needed. It might take several days to get what he needed but there hadn't been a time frame given. If there had been the price would have gone up. He hated rush jobs since it could cause a sloppy result.

The next morning, he hurried out to one of the various vehicles sitting around. He had a small side business selling used cars. He'd pick up some beater, get it running and sell it for the cost of repairs and a bit of profit. No matter what, he loved being a mechanic and fixing vehicles of all sorts was his joy in life. He took pride in ensuring what was repaired was as best possible. His side business was simply to help support his car habit. That and to have a nice nest egg to retire with. Once retired he could focus on fixing the vehicles he really wanted to.

He parked in a similar location the P.I. though he didn't realize it. As the P.I. had noted there weren't a great number of parking spots where you could see the office entrance. His equipment was already set up and active. Currently it was set for sensor only. It wasn't going to broadcast any information. Simply to collect information, any emissions would be recorded. He arrived early to pick up with RF and wireless signals, so he could eliminate them.

When the vehicles approached, he kept an eye on what his tablet was showing him. There was a definite spike in emissions but for now he was simply going to let it record everything from the three vehicles. The more information he could acquire the better. He might even consider setting up a sensor post near their property. He knew where they lived since, he made it his business to know as much about this city as possible. The movers, shakers, gangs, dealers, thugs, scum, all the people he might be called to deal with. He had to admit he'd never expected to be called to deal with Mr. Dawson and that woman.

He respected Mr. Dawson but it didn't stop him from taking a contract against the woman. There wasn't any animus against either, it was simply a job. He waited a short time before pulling away and heading towards his shop. No matter what he had work to do and Mr. Cleson's car was being a pain and he needed to keep looking at it. He'd look at the information he gathered at lunch and this evening as needed.

When lunch rolled around, he settled down with the laptop and started looking at what it was showing. He had to frown since it looked like the information was heavily encrypted. Based on what he was looking at they had every security option enabled. Required a verified handshake before allowing connection, security key, and a number of other requirements. They did have the wireless option and Bluetooth activated but getting connected was going to be a pain. This aspect he wasn't skilled at so he sent the data to someone he knew online who did this sort of work. Normally he wasn't horribly expensive and hoped it would remain the same.

Once that was done, he headed back to work and kept swearing at that damn car. It wasn't all that old but there appeared to be some sort of electrical system issue he just couldn't track down.

~~~ Local P.I.

Now that he had information on both parts of the contract, he considered what he wanted to do next. Ensuring the school schedule was as easy as going to the website and seeing what hours they were running. It would show holidays, short days and even teachers' days to catch up. He made notes for the next two weeks which would be included in his next report.

Earlier he'd parked a vehicle and walked away and grabbed a taxy home. He did have other work to do and he'd get the car after their work was over. Once he'd figured out the comings and goings of other people it would give him more information. It would help if she went out for lunch, but he had a feeling she'd still have guards following her around. Only time would tell.