Chapter 21

After the visit from the rather annoying clown, you decided to take a nap. The painkillers were working their magic and in all honesty there was nothing else to do. of course your napping only took you so far and every time you were headed into deep slumber, those pesky falling dreams would jerk you up.

Out of the room a voice boomed, waking you up. There seemed to be a commotion between a girl and a man.

"Sir you can't go in there, visiting hours are done" the girl warned, she sounded exasperated as if she'd been telling the same thing over and over.

"That's my WIFE!" Uh-oh.

You recognized the male's voice and it filled you with dread and a desperate need to escape.

The door swung open and the man you least wanted to see entered.

"GET OUT!" You screamed and grabbed the nearest object, a pillow, and threw it at him.

"One would have though you would have learned by now that pillows don't work in self defense situations" he grabbed the pillow mid air and held it tight in a fist.

"Get. Out, now" your words came through clenched teeth as your eyes inspected his form just in case he lunged at you and you needed to run.

"What. Happened?" he came towards you and set the pillow beside you with tenderness.

"What? What happened?! I'll tell you what happened. YOU happened" your voice was low and threatening, laced with venom, but to him it wasn't something he hadn't experienced before. Heck, he had been stabbed by you before, this he could handle

"Apart from that, honey"

His cocky smile unnerved you to no end. You wanted to carve his lips out of his face, even if it sounded psychotic. Your patience meter was very low, and the reserve you were trying to tap into was probably inexistent by now. With reluctance you lowered your head, not in defeat, but out of tiredness. Your eyes were a little swollen and the eyelids hurt, the tension had you wanting to sleep away all the ordeal.

"You pushed me from the second floor of the library" He arched an eyebrow and he analyzed the story and tried to put himself in the middle of it.

"I was at your house cooking dinner, I learned about your incident through our bond. You felt so distressed, so afraid... it wasn't even delicious" he whispered the last phrase and looked into your (E/C) eyes.

You sensed the sincerity in his voice, he sounded hurt and actually desperate to understand what had he done wrong. Almost as if he were innocent. Around him there was no need to hold your tummy, like the unborn thought it was safe for the moment.

"Then who pushed me? Because as far as I'm concerned only twins or doppelgängers look alike" A weird realization dawn on you and you retreated back into the bed as far as you could, trying to find a secret escape inside the pillows.

"How do I know you're not him? How do I know you're not here to finish the job. Oh my God, you came here to kill me, didn't you?" Fast you tried to grab the help button on the side of the bed but your hands were grabbed by his.

His hands were so big they hugged yours. But the grasp wasn't mean or forced or even threatening. Instead his grasp on your hands was delicate yet stern; he just wanted to know the truth.

"What are you talking about?"he asked in a low voice looking straight into your eyes, searching your thoughts. You felt it.

The way his mental hands pushed aside non important information and scampered other things, looking for the truth. So you did what you thought could save you. In a moment of desperation you opened your mind to him, he was free to roam your thoughts without care, but there was a door you've mentally created and he couldn't open it. You pushed the grave secret inside it and made yourself forget about it.

"You know he came by" you answered casually and his hand slithered out of the hold.

"Who?"

"There's this other clown guy, like you , but older like he's a grandpa with makeup something like that"

The explanation shocked him, it made his chest tightened and his muscles clench. Small beads of sweat were forming in the small of his back and he could've sworn he heard a heartbeat, not far.

"It must have been your imagination, there's no one else like me here or anywhere else" the answer was casual, he couldn't afford to loose his cool, not at the moment were he had so much planned.

"No but he seemed so real, he..." (Y/N) remembered what the old clown had talked about and the baby issue he pondered "He called you junior and a womanizer"

"You must have hit yourself in the head harder than I thought. We need to get you home, I'll take care of you" he laughed and it almost sounded nervous, almost.

"But the doctors are not done with the analysis and I can't go yet" the fact that (Y/N) had been so nervous about the whole ordeal, made her forget she was actually at the hospital, hooked to an IV, bandaged for bruises and cuts.

"Well, I have the final word here so, it's my call, dear"

"Mr. denb... Penny, please trust the doctors like I have trusted you, please"

"Okay. On one condition, if they find in their analysis that you're not normal, that you're different, I'll kill them all and their blood will be in your hands" your eyes widened at the threat, but also at the gall he had to threaten you.

"How about you erase their minds instead? Less bloodshed" you tried to reason with him, but he only took a nearby chair and sat down with a smirk and a dangerous light in his eyes

"Lesser the fun pretty bird, now choose"

"I'll help you, doll" a whispery voice seemed to say. However, you were the only one who could hear it, apparently.

"Fine" she replied with a shaken voice. Penny stood up and kissed the top of her head, entangling his fingers into (Y/N)'s hair and brushing it.

"Good girl" he whispered with a hint of lust and left through the door

"Good choice, sweets, now I'll get him out and you're staying here where is safe" the voice praised, but was it truly safe?

Another one bites the dust, we're good. 🦄