Chapter Six - Conceal

Kat pressed her hot face against the cold marble of the entrance hall, sweat dripping down her back. She felt woozy. Memories swimming before her eyes, reminding her why she needed to leave, to save Cal. But she couldn't. He had ripped a hole in her carefully weaved facade and everything threatened to spill out.

Her heart hammered in her chest. She loved him, she knew that completely. Was it just the bond? How would she know? She knew there was something strange with Tate, but the overwhelming want to be with Cal came over her in waves. She needed to be near him. Any second away made her stomach roll, sickness swirling like fire, burning her throat.

"Are you okay?" his voice instantly soothed the raging storm inside her. The air seemed sweeter, her thirst for him quenched just by the sight of him.

Kat looked at him, perplexed. His features mirrored her expression. She opened her mouth and shut it again, at a loss for words.

"Alpha Cal, ShadowClaw have sent wolves to inspect your mate."

Vilkar stood tall and terrifying. A frown twisted his scarred face. He was not happy about these wolves.

"Which ones?" Cal studied his warrior, reading his response in more than his words.

"Second Beta, one warrior and an elder."

"Only three? Interesting." Cal mused.

Katjas blood ran cold. She had been watching the conversation with quiet concern but now, the sick feeling was back, heavy and curdled in her stomach.

An elder.

Her breathing shallowed as cold hands closed around her heart. She clawed at her chest trying to relieve the pressure.

"I- I can't. Cal- I.

I have to hide.

Or leave.

I can't leave! Can I leave?

There's no time.

I have to - I have to-"

She stumbled over her words, fear rising from the ground, wrapping tendrils of smoke around her legs, tying her in place. Tighter and tighter they squeezed her, taking air from her lungs, making it impossible to breathe. Cal moved towards her quickly, grasping her shoulders in strong hands. Warmth spread from them but they did not lift the weight pulling on her. His startled eyes searched hers and she stared wildly back, trying to catch her breath.

He shook her, shouting for help as the dark cloud covered her eyes and she slipped out of consciousness.

"Papa, why do you run so fast? You know I can't keep up?"

"Little Kat, I used to run just as slowly as you do. Do you know how I got this fast? Practice."

"Is this another boring Alpha lesson? What if I don't want to be an Alpha's bitch?"

"Katja, do not use that word."

"It's the correct term Papa! It's just the humans who made it offensive."

"And you mean to use it offensively in this context, do you not?"

Kat poked out her tongue as her father laughed.

"Just as I thought! But to answer your question, you may be whomever you choose. You don't have to be a Luna. The Moon chose you to be special, to have something others do not. I do not think it matters what rank you live at, your life will have purpose."