Chapter Eight - Crucifixion

This time, she wasn't under the cover of trees. She was chained with silver shackles, right under the eye of the Moon, and she was given no advice from Tate as he silently locked her in.

He had looked at her in disgust before he walked away, leaving her with her thoughts.

Great job, Kat. Couldn't tell them the truth when it actually mattered.

As night fell she shivered, remembering the look on Cal's face. Heartbreak, disappointment, horror. She knew how he saw her. As the enemy.

She had failed to explain herself and in that moment he thought her a spy, come to unravel his pack right from the very heart.

She thought about their day at the lake, under 24 hours before. So much had changed between them.

Her heart ached for him. The bind writhing, wrapping itself around her lungs and squeezing her breath away. Punishing her for her betrayal of him, of them.

She wondered if he was feeling the same. She couldn't feel him at all. No anger, no pain. Nothing. His soul was quiet to her.

The heat from the silver crackled at her back as she crouched, trying desperately to get comfortable.

Kat fell into a fitful sleep, filled with nightmares.

She lay in her mother's arms, letting her stroke her hair off her face. The fire crackled away in the hearth as her mother sang to her.

Kat closed her eyes and listened to her mother's soothing voice. Relaxing as she drifted to sleep.

She was suddenly aware that the singing had stopped.

"Mama?"

Kat turned to look at her mother, her body had gone stiff as her eyes rolled back.

"Papa! She's doing it again!"

Kat jumped up, running into the kitchen, where her father sat with his second in command. At her voice he rose from his chair and ran into the living room.

Kat's mother convulsed on the floor, twitching as her mouth filled with froth.

Her father sat down beside her and moved her into the recovery position.

"I'm here, Kira, I'm here. You'll be fine."

He mumbled soothing words to her, stroking her white blond hair off her face. Kat stood, feeling useless.

The seizures slowed. Her mother gasped and coughed.

"What did you see?" her father asked.

Her mother just looked at him, in silence, with terror on her face.

"Kira! What did you see?"

"Our death, my love, it comes soon. It comes from deep betrayal."

Kat's father slumped, his shoulders sagging with emotion.

"Is there nothing-"

Kat's mother touched her father's face.

"Nothing can be done. Once it has been seen it must come to pass."

"Wake up!" a voice growled as it's owner kicked Kat's cage, rocking her against the silver bars.

She flinched as it burned into her skin, but she would not cry out. She would not give Vilkas the pleasure.