17 - Back to Britain

Tom's P.O.V.

-------- A FEW MINUTES EARLIER -------

I'm hobbling through the room trying to find that confounded phone of mine which appears to be hiding from me. The noise of the phone is ringing consistently. "Hold your horses!" I yell still trying to locate where my phone is at. I find it under a shirt on the bed and answer the call.

"Hello?"

"Tom! Where are you!?" I recognized the voice of my agent Luke.

"In Australia."

"Why?"

"Because of Lani." I heard a few choice curses on the other end of the phone. "Look Luke. I am staying here. Lani needs me and I'm not leaving her here by herself."

"Tom, you need to come back to London."

"Why? I don't start shooting for another few months which is plenty of time for me to recover-" I put a hand over my mouth when i realize what i just said to him.

"Recover from what Tom? What did you do now?" I could hear the agitation in his voice.

"I was kinda in a car accident-"

"What!?" He cut me off.

"Nothing too extreme Luke I promise. Just a broken ankle and sore ribs."

"Nothing too extreme my arse." I heard him mumble over the phone. I frowned. "Look, you just need to get back over here, Thomas." I cringed slightly. He only ever calls me that when it is serious. 

"Alright, give a few days to get a flight sorted and i'll be back in a few days."

"Thankyou. I'll meet you at the airport in a few days." 

"Alright. Bye." I hang up before he can say anything else. I look around the room. Sammy had left with the kids not too long ago after Sammy fired Lani. I never thought that I would be the reason for it. 

I make my way across the hall to Lani's room and i can hear her muffled crying. I wait for a few moments until i can't hear it anymore. I don't knock but slowly and quietly open the door walking in with slightly pained steps. I sit on her bed and then lie down behind her wrapping a hand around her waist. I smile a little when i feel her move back slightly into my chest.

"I love you Lani. Sammy does too. You know that right?" She nods her head slightly and i sigh. "Just go to sleep Love. I'll be here when you wake up." I knew i wouldn't be, but i didn't want to leave her. It pained me that i had to leave. I heard her breathing even out, signalling that she was asleep.

 Moving as quietly as I could, i moved off the bed and limped my way downstairs. For all who are wondering, I have a brace on my foot which makes it easier for me to walk around without the crutches, but I'm not supposed to walk for long periods of time like that.

I get downstairs and sit horizontally along the couch and lean my head over over the arm of the chair, deep in thought.

"I don't think I have ever seen someone as conflicted as you are my boy." I move my head to look at the source of the voice to see Craig walking in and sitting on the chair opposite the couch i'm on.

"I'm not sure I understand." I move a bit so I'm sitting up straighter and look at him.

"I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. What's eating you?" If only he knew. "Something to do with work?" Can he read my mind or something?

"Yeah. How did you know?"

"I have 3 sons and a daughter-in-law in the same boat as you. All actors. I'm bound to pick up when work is bothering them." He has a point.