20 - Bringing The Past To The Present

Lani's P.O.V.

 "Lani. Please just listen!" I could hear the desperation in his voice. I had just told him that we were over. 

"No, you listen. I forgave you for leaving without saying a proper goodbye, I got over that. But this? This is something that will take a lot longer to heal. It is not something that I will forgive easily. You have been gone 2 weeks. It is over between us Thomas."

"Lani! Please. Just listen to what I'm trying to say."

"I'm sorry. I think I've already heard enough. I may never forgive you Tom. Not only do you send me a text saying that its over which you tell me was some girl. But now i find out that you have been sleeping around! I don't need this Tom. I don't need this."

"Please. Just let me explain." He doesn't get it does he?

"No Tom. I've heard enough. No amount of explaining will undo what you have done."

"Lani-" I cut him by hanging up on him. I throw my phone across the room. It hits a photoframe and is followed by a crash as it hits the floor. Glass now littering the floor. 

"Lani, is everything-" Chris starts but then stops and looks at the broken frame and then at me. Now normally i would be asleep. It is after Midnight in Australia after all. He walks to my bed where i'm now sitting cross legged and playing with my fingers that are entwined in my lap. 

I feel the bed shift slightly as he sits on it. "Its over between us Chris" I whisper.

"Between you and Tom?"

"Yeah."

"Why? Didn't he ring you to apologize?"

"Apologize for what? Sleeping around? Betraying my trust?!" I look up at Chris and tears are threatening to fall. 

"What are you talking about Lani?"

"He cheated on me." My voice broke as the tears i tried so hard to keep from falling, fell down my cheeks. "Not even 2 weeks and he has already moved on. Chris what did i do wrong?"

"You did nothing wrong Lani! Are you positive that he cheated?" I nodded.

"There was a woman talking to him on the other end of the phone. She was saying that last night was the best night of her life." He pulled me into a hug as i completely lost it, my body shaking as sobs raked my body. I just cried into his chest. 

"It's ok Lani. It's going to be alright." Was the last thing i heard from Chris as I floated into the world of sleep.

------- THE NEXT DAY -------

 I wake up to the smell of something cooking downstairs. I get out of bed and grab the black robe from behind my door and walk downstairs.

"Hey! Look who's up." I smile at Liam's cheery attitude. 

"Morning Liam. Where is everyone?"

"Dunno. Chris said something about fixing something? Luke went with him while mum and dad went shopping. Dad needed to get stuff to fix the old car in the shed so mum said she would do the food side of shopping while he did that."

"What old car is he fixing up?"

"Hmm? Oh the old Chevy that he got imported all those years ago."

"So he is finally getting started on fixing it up? Good on him." I smile and sit on a chair on the island bench in the middle of the kitchen. "So then what are you planning to do today?"

"Dunno." He shrugs. "Guess i could always hang out with my sister." He smiles as he brings the frypan over from the stove and puts the bacon and scrambled eggs onto a plate.