Memory (angst)

(Memory) Prompt: Tim has a horrible memory due to the fact that he can never seem to stop working. Although it's understandable that he has a big job to do both at Wayne enterprises and as Red Robin, this is the third anniversary in a row that you went all out on to do something special for him, and he "forgot." That was the straw that broke the camels' back...

***(Reader is female)***

This was the final straw...

You could understand that he had cases to solve, an important job that required a stable reputation, and you could even understand that his job as a vigilante was draining and time-consuming. However, what you could not understand was how he never seemed to remember to spend time with you or even remember that you were his girlfriend for that matter. Every time your birthday or anniversary came up, he would almost never remember without your constant reminders about the event in question. Hell, he couldn't even take a shower without you yelling at him.

After calling Tim for what seemed to be the millionth time in a row, you sat on a chair and faced the window, watching the raindrops as they slid down the glass while mentally preparing for Tim's arrival to give him a piece of your mind. Sure, it is perfectly normal to forget things, but this was out of control.

After staring out the window for a few minutes, you finally gained the courage to face what you had prepared for his arrival, a home cooked dinner that took you hours (and Alfred) to prepare along with a beautifully set table complete with champagne, fine china plates, and every other little detail and luxury in-between. The steam from the food that had once invaded your nostrils was now long-gone, the candles had melted halfway before you finally put them out, and the giddy, happy-go-lucky smile on your face had turned into an angry frown as you stared at the surprise that you knew Tim wouldn't come home too until at least 12:00AM.

'Why do I even go through the trouble...?' You thought to yourself as you stared at the clock on the wall. It was now 11:30PM and even after hours of calling and texting, no response seemed to make its way to your phone. There was no way he remembered your anniversary if he was coming home late, again.

Suddenly, you could hear the sound of keys jingling and the locks unlocking, you didn't bother turning around to face him as he walked in through the door, suitcase in hand. Tim yawned as he walked in and turned on the light in the living room before he gasped in shock and had a sudden 'Oh s*it" type realization. The beautifully set table gave him chills as his mind put two and two together. He immediately dropped his suitcase and his breathing became quicker.

He had forgotten your anniversary, again...

"No, no, no, no, no..." he whispered to himself before running over to the chair you were sitting in, kneeling down beside you, and attempting to apologize for his mistake. It was something he seemed to do pretty often whenever he screwed up. Apologize profusely then do absolutely nothing to change his unhealthy lifestyle. These angry thoughts ran through your head as he attempted to genuinely say he was "So sorry I forgot our anniversary, It'll never happen again, I promise. I'll do better next time, and-"

"Shut up. I don't want to hear your excuses anymore... I'm done with your excuses..." You snapped.

He immediately stopped speaking upon hearing your voice. The obvious sharpness of your words only made it more obvious that you were angry at him for forgetting about something so important. He looked away and downcast his head in shame after slowly rising to his feet next to you. He waited for whatever you were about to say, mentally preparing himself.

You turned to face him, an upset, angry look etched across your features as you looked at him. You gripped the arm of your chair tighter than before, tears streaming down your cheeks as you spoke.

"You're so damn forgetful you know! Every year you forget our anniversary, and not once have you ever tried to do anything to fix it!!" You looked away, the tears now coming down in globs, making your vision blurry. "I can understand that you're busy all the time...but that's still no excuse for 3 anniversaries of me crying, waiting for you to come home with nothing but your exhausted ass and that damn laptop! Do you have any idea how that makes me feel?!?!" You roared, your voice shaking.

Tim took a deep breath in and fought back the tears before reaching out to you. You backed away from his hand as if it was infected, not interested in anything he had to say. He retracted his hand upon seeing your reaction, ashamed of himself. "(Y/N), I know your mad, and I want you to know that I'm really, truly-"

"Save it. Just save it!" You snapped as you headed for your shared bedroom. You immediately headed for the closet, pulling out a suitcase and opening it after laying it down on the bed. You then set out for the dresser, grabbing a handful of clothes and piling them in. You didn't care if they would get wrinkled, you just needed to get out of here...

A very confused Tim stopped at the door frame of the bedroom. Upon seeing you packing, he set into full-on-panic-mode while striding over to where you were. "(Y/N), what are you doing? Why are you packing?" You said nothing as you walked out the door, suitcase in hand. It wasn't until you made it to the front door did he realize what you were doing.

"(Y/N), you can't be serious! I know I screwed up, but are you really gonna leave me like this!?"

You stopped at the doorframe and stood there for a moment, processing his words. In all honesty, you were serious. It was tiring having to take care of him, and his lack of improvement only worsened things. You turned around, your eyes bloodshot paired with an angry expression.

"Yes, I'm serious! I'm tired of treating you like a child. You can't even open the blinds unless I yell at you, and you can't remember our anniversary if your life depended on it! I'm done!! I'm done..." Your voice softened at that last part. "We need a break..." You finally said before walking out the door and out of your once shared apartment, slamming the door behind you.

Tim stood there speechless, his mind going blank before he fell to the floor on his hands and knees, crying. Had he really forgotten all of those anniversaries and birthdays while he toiled away at his laptop? Tears started pouring out from his eyes as he sobbed. It was over and there was nothing he could do about it anymore.

You were done...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello again everyone! Thought I'd mix things up with a little angst. Not every story has a happy ending...