Reunited

Sylrie stared out of the tiny window in her cell. It was made of bulletproof glass and had iron bars crisscrossing over it on both sides. She almost snorted. As if I could escape. Where would I even go? She had been trapped in the prison for a whole year and she hadn't tried to get out, not even when a prime opportunity presented itself. Today was visiting day, and she barely managed to find the strength to get out of bed and drag herself to the front office. Every month, on visiting day, the baker and his wife came over to the prison to gloat about putting her in there. They bought Leif with them every time, but he never said a word to her, and his parents never let him out of their sights. In fact, the last time he had spoken to her was at in the town square as he said her name when they dragged her away to the prison. It was the worst part of all of the visits, the fact that he wouldn't even look at her. The lady at the desk slid a form across the polished wood towards her, not even looking up from her computer.

 "Sign here please," the lady asked. Sylrie signed the Protection Act document, which stated that she would not attack any of her visitors, and slunk into the meeting room. The room had plain white walls with a heater mounted on one of them, and was bare but for a single table with five chairs on opposite sides. Sylrie sat in the chair facing the heater, lying back, closing her eyes and putting her feet up on the table. A few moments later she heard the door creak open and, with her eyes still closed, she crossed her ankles, put her hands behind her head and let the heat wash over her. She ignored the baker, his wife and Leif, even when they sat down across from her. Sylrie sighed and opened her eyes. 

"What do you want?" she asked, annoyed that she was wasting her time with the people who had landed her in jail. "Because if you've just come to gloat, then I'm gonna have to leave." 

 The baker's wife leaned towards her. 

"We have decided that we are going to let you have a little treat before we gloat." 

 Sylrie glowered at her.

 "Did you bring me a cake?" 

"No," said the baker's wife, obviously irritated. 

"We have decided that we are going to let you and Leif have a moment alone. We know that you haven't spoken to each other for a while, and today is your prison anniversary, and also Leif's birthday." 

"Are you sure you want to leave us alone? There are no cameras in this room, the walls are soundproof, and no one will know what we say or do. I might hurt your precious son," she sneered at them, whilst her heart leaped in her chest. 

They were allowing her to talk to Leif. Finally. But when she glanced over at Leif, he was staring blankly at the back wall, his face showing no emotion. If not for the rise and fall of his chest, he would have been absolutely motionless. Her heart sank again. He looked bored and disinterested. The baker and his wife stood, making their way to the door. Sylrie followed behind them and shut the door.

Then, she spun around and collapsed into Leif's arms. She wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in his chest. He pressed his face into her hair. 

"Sylrie," he moaned. "Sylrie." 

There were tears running down her face as she looked up at him.

 "Leif. Oh my god, Leif. Please tell me this isn't a dream." 

Leif stroked her hair as she lowered her head into his chest again. 

 "I'm here. It's not a dream. I'm here," he reassured her. 

"No," she whispered, so quietly that the words barely reached her own ears. "It's not a dream. It's a nightmare." 

Leif looked confused, and a flash of hurt darted across his face, so she explained. 

"The prison, Leif. Not you. Oh god, not you. I cannot possibly say how happy I am right now." 

Leif took her face between his hands, pressing his palms into her cheeks. 

 "Sylrie," he said, tears glistening in his eyes. "Sylrie. I've missed you so, so much. You don't know how much it killed me to just sit there and watch while my parents taunted you. I'm so sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

 Leif kissed her forehead and pulled her against him. They just stood there for a long time, with her face in his chest and his arms around her waist.

Aww, cute right? The question is, how long will it last...? Mwahahahaha! Cliffhanger! 

Cakey4 🍰