Tears pt2

Fire. 

 Flames. 

 Cinders. 

 Ashes. 

 That was all that Sylrie could think about as she woke up from her nightmare, a scream dying in her throat. For a few seconds her brain refused to process anything but the memory of her parent's dead bodies. Then she felt Leif slip his arms around her and pull her body tight against his. 

 "Are you okay?" he whispered, his breath against her hair. 

Sylrie managed a little laugh, although it was forced. 

 "I'm pretty sure that I'm the one who's supposed to be asking you that. Not the other way round." 

 "Oh, I'm great," said Leif, the sarcasm plain in his voice. "My parents were just thrown off a roof and now my oldest friend is keeping secrets from me." 

Sylrie frowned apologetically. 

 "Sorry." 

 "It's fine. Now, tell me what's wrong." 

"It was just another one of my 'fire nighmares'. You know, the usual." 

Sylrie frowned again as she noticed the dark circles under his eyes. 

"Are you okay? You look tired." 

Leif shrugged.

 "I'm fine," he said, though the pain in his eyes suggested otherwise. 

Sylrie curled up against Leif's chest, trying to forget her nightmare. Then she remembered... She sat up and pushed Leif away. 

 "I should leave you in peace," she said, standing up and trying to make her way across to her bed. Like last time, she had only taken a few steps before Leif pulled her back down to the bed. Sylrie sighed and sat on the edge. 

 "Leif," she said gently, but he interrupted her. 

"Please stay, Syl. You keep me from having nightmares. You're the only good thing that keeps them away. At least, if you don't want to do it for me, then think about what happens when you have another nightmare. I could help with it. Please, Syl?" 

Sylrie sighed again and lay back down next to Leif. He pulled her close and whispered in her ear, "You're the only good thing left. That's never going to change."

Sorry guys, this chapter is just fluff, but i'm sensing something brewing between Leif and Sylrie. Huh? Huh? 

Cakey4 🍰