Newbies

Sylrie showed the inter-dimensional girl, who was called Star, and the boy who had hurt the person with the knife, who was called Jakania, how to bandage Leif. They had brought back the boy with the knife and she let Star and Jakania decide what to do with him. She lead Saki down to her bedroom so that they could decide wether to trust Twyla or the Draconian council. Sylrie sat down at the computer and opened her emails. The Draconian council hadn't said anything else, but Twyla had sent her another email. It said:

Sylrie, are you okay? Is Leif still alive. Pls answer.

Sylrie typed out a quick reply and sent it, praying that she was doing the right thing. Twyla answered her massage almost immediately. Sylrie let out a sigh of relief. Twyla had said that she was coming to her hideout right now with the antidote for Leif. We'll be there in an hour twenty, the email had said. Sylrie feared that it wouldn't be quick enough. She heard a small noise behind her and whipped back around towards Saki. Saki had fallen asleep on the floor and her hair had turned dark blue. Sylrie walked over to Saki and picked her up. For a small girl, she weighed a ton. 

 "God, you're heavy. No offence, Saki," she wheezed, carrying Saki over to the bed and lying her down. 

She snored softly and Sylrie smiled as she returned to the computer. Sylrie shifted in her seat a little, impatient. Twyla had said that she was going to take a long time but every second felt like millennia. She sighed. She was going crazy waiting and she did want to know who her mystery guests were. She stood, making her way down to the living room. She hid just outside that doorway. Inside, Star and Jakania were having a hushed conversation about the boy with the knife. Sylrie listened carefully, even though she knew she was snooping. 

 "What shall we do with him?" asked Star. 

"I don't know," said Jakania. 

"But whatever we do, we have to do it fast, okay," said Star. 

"Okay," said Jakania. 

They were both silent for a moment, and Sylrie took the moment as an opportunity to sneak away. She tiptoed down the corridor and slipped into Leif's room. He was lying on top of the bedcovers again, but this time he was staring at the door. He smiled weakly at her and motioned for her to join him on the bed. 

 "Hey, Syl." 

Sylrie wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his chest. His voice was hoarse, but there were six empty glasses on the bedside table, and Sylrie presumed that he had drank them all. 

"Twyla's coming," she whispered into his shirt. "With the antidote." 

He frowned and pulled back. 

 "Syl, we don't know if we can trust them," he said, obvious concern in his eyes. 

But it wasn't concern for himself. It was concern for her. Her heart melted and she leaned in, brushing her lips lightly against his. Lightly. Just once. Leif's resolve crumbled and he pulled her closer so that her body was pressed against his. His lips were desperate and starved as he leaned against her. Star and Saki walked in and they jumped apart. 

"Hey, Leif, you okay?" asked Saki. 

"Yeah, I'm fine," Leif mumbled, his cheeks bright red. 

Sylrie knew that her cheeks would be the same colour. 

"Hey Saki," said Sylrie. 

 "H...hi," she mumbled. 

Sylrie frowned and stood up from the bed. 

 "If you all don't mind, then I'll have to test your DNA, in case you're imposters or Draconian spies. I'll do a basic health check as well." 

 "Sylrie, we know ourselves, we're not imposters," Star protested. 

"Well, that's exactly what an imposter would say," argued Sylrie, opening Leif's cupboard and pulling out a few monitors and a syringe. 

 "Okay then," said Star. "We'll let you test our DNA."