Prologue

My name is Garrett Shimmer. My parent's names are Ray and Chara Shimmer... Pop and Mom... I have an older sister named Sunset... At least, I hope I still have one... I say these things to myself often to remind myself of who I am. I was five years old when I was taken away from my family.

It all started when our parents took me and Sunset camping. There was one area in Equestria we liked to go camping in. Unfortunately, Pop made the mistake of not only forgetting the map, but also a compass. We stumbled into unfamiliar forests different from the ones Sunny and I were used to. "Dear, I think we're lost," said Mom. "I unfortunately have to agree with you hon," said Pop, "Sunny, did I forget the map?"

 "I think so Dad," said Sunny, "maybe the compass too..." 

 "I knew I forgot something," said Pop. "Maybe if we run into Somepony, we can ask for directions," suggested Mom. A few minutes later, we found ourselves in unfamiliar territory. It looked intimidating to a five year old colt such as myself. "Pop, what is this place?" I asked. "I don't know son," Pop admitted. We looked around this place. What we didn't know was that Somepony was watching us.

A few minutes later, we were still wandering around. Suddenly, a soft yet malice voice that sounded harsh bellowed, "HALT!" Then a mare walked in, glaring at us. She had a dark orchid coat, with armor covering her body and hooves. Her mane was was a rose color, and her eyes were a harsh opal. Sunset and I almost thought she was an earth pony, but she was actually a unicorn, only her horn was broken. She also had a scar on her right eye.

I was frightened by this unfamiliar mare

I was frightened by this unfamiliar mare. Sunset hugged me tightly and whispered, "Don't worry Garrett, Mom, Pop, and I won't let her harm you." Pop walked over to the hornless mare and said, "I beg your pardon miss, my family and I got lost, and we were wondering if you could guide us in the right direction so that-"

"SILENCE!!!" the mare snapped, sparks coming out of her broken horn, "You are trespassing under the property of The Storm King! Stay put, for he will have words with the four of you." She still glared at us, and I was frightened. Suddenly, this large Satyr looking creature with horns walked in. He even had the same armor, and he carried a staff. The mare bowed before him. So this was The Storm King.

He eyed us, and said, "Well look what we have here, Tempest

He eyed us, and said, "Well look what we have here, Tempest... Four trespassers..." So this mare's name was Tempest. "Yes master..." she said, rising up. The Storm King smirked and said, "As my Lieutenant Tempest Shadow has stated, you are trespassing under my property! And I will not tolerate trespassers. Do you know what we do to trespassers?" I shook my head no. The Storm King chuckled and said, "Tell them Tempest."

"Anypony foolish enough to trespass under The Storm King's property will be prosecuted, immediately convicted without a trial, and imprisoned!" Tempest said emotionless. "Please," begged Pop, "we meant no harm whatsoever, Storm King. My family and I will leave and never return, we swear!" The Storm King laughed and said, "Oh a family stallion? You'd do anything to protect your family? I like that. Very well, I'll let you and your family go. But... I will have to take one of your foals!"

Mom gasped in horror, protectively hugged Sunny and I, and cried, "No, not my foals!" The Storm King pointed at us and said, "Consider me generous that I give you this choice. One of them will stay with you, whomever you choose." Mom started tearing up, frightened to make this agonizing choice. Tempest lost her patience and yelled, "Choose now! Or else you will be flogged!"

"What does flogged mean?" Five year old me asked. The Storm King grabbed me by the tail, and said, "Here, we'll choose for you. He's ours, Tempest. Go, before we change our mind." Sunset cried and said, "No! Not Garrett!" Mom and Pop turned their backs, and Pop choked up, saying, "We have to go, now." The Storm King dragged me as I screamed, "MOMMY! DADDY! SUNNY!" They continued to drag me away, and my family drifted further and further away. That would be the last time I would ever see my sister... And that's how The Storm King and Tempest Shadow took my family away from me.