Father and Son Reunion

I kept on galloping for hours. The adrenaline rush felt great! Soon enough, I made it back to Canterlot. I'd been away from my home for far too long. The city hasn't changed a bit. It's still beautiful as ever. I galloped over to the house we used to live in. But then I thought, what if Mom and Pop are at work? What if this isn't their house anymore? Mom was a teacher that taught spells, while Pop was a ruthless lawyer. His ruthlessness made him successful, and he never lost a case. Despite this reputation, Pop still had time to spend time with me and Sunny, and he loved us dearly.

I trotted over to the Law Firm that Pop worked at. It was still there, and hadn't changed a bit. I walked in, looking around. There was a mare at the front of the desk who was clearly a secretary. I walked up to her and cleared my throat. She looked at me and said, "Can I help you?"

"Yes," I said, "does Ray Shimmer still work here?" The secretary was taken aback by my question, but she answered, "Yes... Do you have an appointment with him?"

"I'm his son Garrett," I said, "I need to speak with my father." The secretary nodded and said, "Mr. Shimmer is a busy stallion. It would be foolish to bother him. But, I'll see if I can speak to him and squeeze you in..." She gave me a friendly smile. "Thanks," I said. She left her desk to talk to my dad. I think. A few minutes later, I heard my father shout, "What do you mean my son's here?!?!?! My son is in prison! Or worse, he's dead!" I could hear hooves galloping fast, and I could hear my father say in that stubborn tone of voice, "If this is somepony's idea of a prank, I will fire whoever set it up!" He then trotted to the front.

Pop used to have a red coat with a more dark red mane. His coat was still red, but his mane was beginning to gray. He looked older and tired. He was still wearing one of his business suits. It was Pop alright. He looked at me with an annoyed look. "Is this your idea of a prank?" he angrily asked. "Pop, it's me!" I said, "Don't you recognize me?" He looked at me, then he said realizing... "Nopony has called me Pop in years..." He looked at me again and said, "Garrett... Is it really you?" I got choked up and said, "It's me Pop..."

Now it was Pop's turn to choke up, as he hugged me tightly. I hugged him back, happy to have him hold me. "You're alive..." he emotionally said, "My son is alive!" Everypony was emotionally happy for us all. There was not a dry eye in sight. Much later, Pop and I were walking around Canterlot. "How did you survive?" Pop asked. "It wasn't easy," I admitted, "but music saved me. And my cellmate helped me escape. Are Mom and Sunny alive?"

Pop sighed and said, "You'll be relieved to know your Mom is alive. But there are things you need to know. When you were imprisoned, we all thought you died... Your mother and I grieved, but Sunset grieved the hardest. Garrett, grief can often turn some ponies cruel... And sadly, in our grief, we drove your sister away. I blame myself for what happened. I should have surrendered, and maybe you'd have a chance to live your own life... "

"Pop, there isn't a situation where anypony wins no matter the outcome," I said, "I've spent my time resenting you and Mom for what happened..." Pop raised his hoof and said, "And you have every justified right to resent us..."

"Well I'm done hating," I said, "I want you to know that I forgive you and Mom for what happened. It's in the past now, and our past is not today." Pop smiled and said, "I love you son." I smiled and said, "I love you too Pop."