Getting To Know Some of the Prisoners

It was another day, and Celestia raised the sun to indicate a new day. Capper and I woke up, and our attendance was checked by the guards. Once we were accounted for, Capper and I went to breakfast. It was the same breakfast as yesterday. "How do you stomach all this?" I asked Capper. "I don't," he replied, "I never eat that breakfast. They always wonder why I stay so thin."

Once breakfast was done, Capper and I went to the exercise yard. We walked around. "What did a colt like you do to end up here?" Capper asked. "My family and I trespassed on the Storm King's property," I explained, "and I asked what flogged meant..." Capper cringed and said, "Sorry to hear that. As for me, my former friend Chummer set me up for a crime, and snitched me to The Storm King's lieutenant. Got caught like a rat."

"Tempest Shadow?" I asked, earning a nod from Capper, "What happened to her horn?" Capper shrugged and said, "You got me kid. Your guess is as good as mine. Still, you got the short end of the stick. You're gonna fit right in. 3/4 of us, we didn't even do anything evil technically. Yo Red!"

Suddenly, this large red dragon with a disfigured lazy left eye walked in. "Garrett, this is Red," said Capper, "Red, Garrett Shimmer." Red nodded and said, "Nice to meet you."

"What happened to your eye?" I asked. "Prisoner picked a fight with me. He disfigured my eye in the process," explained Red. "Tell Garrett why you're here," said Capper. "Oh I remember it like it was yesterday," said Red, "I was flying, and I accidentally sneezed fire on The Storm King's castle. Got convicted for arson and destruction of property." I nodded, feeling bad for Red. "Yo Billy!" Capper called out. Suddenly, this beaver with blue fur walked in. "Hey Capper, hey Red," said the blue beaver.

"Billy, this is the new inmate, Garrett Shimmer," said Capper, "Garrett, this is Billy

"Billy, this is the new inmate, Garrett Shimmer," said Capper, "Garrett, this is Billy." I smiled at Billy and shook his hand. "How do you do?" Billy asked, smiling. "Bill, tell Garrett how you ended up here," said Capper.

"Well I used to be a reporter," said Billy, "when the Storm King conquered my land, becoming ruler of my town, we saw how tyrannical he was. I wrote an unfavorable article about him. In retaliation, The Storm King burnt my workplace down, turned my family to stone and smashed 'em to bits, and had me imprisoned, serving a; and I quote, million year sentence." I looked in horror. "Dude, the colt's only 5 years old!" Red scolded. "Oh I'm sorry," said Billy, "did you want the short and sweet version?"

Capper rolled his eyes and said, "Anyway, you get the point Garrett. We all got the short end of the stick. We all angered The Storm King and/or his cronies for offenses that were rather small. You ain't the first, and you won't be the last." I nodded, looking down. "Is a million forever?" I asked. "When you put it that way, yeah." Billy replied. I sighed sadly.

"Hey guys," said Capper, "if anything bad happens to me; like some prisoner kills me or something, do you two promise to protect Garrett if I can't?" Billy did an X cross gesture on his heart and said, "You've got my word Cap." Red smiled and said, "Ain't nobody gonna mess with a dragon. We'll protect you Garrett. Once a brother in this prison, always a brother." Capper gently put his paw on my shoulder and said, "Don't worry Garrett, you're in good hands." And I knew Cap and my new buds would protect me.