New Cellmate

I managed to sleep for a while. Then the next morning, Celestia raised the sun, and it was a new day. At least, that's what Mom and Pop told me is what happened when a new day began. My cell then opened, and the head guard told us to be out in front. I was out of my cell, stuck between two other prisoners who were larger than me. The head guard walked to my cell block, calling us each by name. Once he was by me, he said, "Garrett Shimmer?" I cleared my throat and said, "Here." The guard looked down at me, and half joked, "I thought you'd be taller." 

After all us prisoners were accounted for, we were then sent to the cafeteria where we were served breakfast. Or, what was supposed to look like breakfast. All I got was lumpy and mushy porridge and moldy bread. When I sat down, I looked at my meal in disgust. Add insult to injury, a little maggot popped out of my porridge. "Ewww...." Five year old me said in disgust. Some of the prisoners chuckled at my reaction. Guess they couldn't blame me for not liking the food. "You gonna eat that maggot?" asked a griffin. I shook my head no. With his talon, the griffin snatched the maggot, and ate it. He smiled in satisfaction, saying, "Good source of protein. Thanks kid." I smiled and said, "You're welcome."

I managed to swallow that awful breakfast. It'd be a miracle if I can keep all that in my stomach. I went into the exercise yard. Or, what was supposed to be an exercise yard, I think. A few minutes later, a guard walked in. "20675?" he asked. That was my alternate name. "Yes?" I asked. "Warden wants to talk to you," he ordered, and he brought me back inside. I was then guided to the Warden's office. The Warden was a middle aged donkey in a business suit, the type of suit Pop would wear at work. This was Warden Mule. 

 "Ah, so you're the young colt that's in The Storm King's prison," said Warden Mule. "Yes sir," I said. "I'm going to skip the pleasantries and get right to the point," said Mule, "I think it's offensive that a young colt like you is in a prison cell all by himself, alone and unprotected. I guess that is ironic since we have solitary confinement, but my point is, we're moving you to a new cell. Someone else is occupying that cell, so therefore, you and this prisoner are going to be cellmates. Prisoner 24601. You'll be transferred to his cell tonight." 

The warden lived up to his promise, and moved me to a new cell, and I was brought inside. My cellmate was this tall and slender cat. He had a light brown coat with a tuft of black hair. He was playing a harmonica. And oh, did he play it wonderfully. He opened his right eye, a green eye, and eyed me. He then stopped playing his harmonica and opened his other eye. "They told me I was getting a new cellmate," my cellmate said as he walked over to me, "wasn't expecting a colt. Aren't you a little young to be here?" I looked down and said, "Yeah..."

"Don't worry kid, I ain't gonna let anyone harm ya," he said, "I'm Capper by the way." He offered his paw to me. I then shook his paw and said, "I'm Garrett Shimmer." Capper smiled and said, "Well then, guess we ain't strangers anymore, eh? Come on, the head guard's gonna turn the lights off. You get the top bunk kiddo." I smiled and climbed the bunk bed. Capper then tucked me in.

"Capper, are we gonna be friends?" I asked as the lights turned off. "I suppose you and me gotta stick together," said Capper, "So yeah, we are. Goodnight Garrett." I smiled and said, "Goodnight Capper." Little did I know that Capper was going to be one of the main reasons I would survive my imprisonment.