TWENTY THREE

"i could only hope she was right"

gazzy

chief called. he said this ain't it.

i shouldn't be this upset about moving. if anything i should be happy. i'll have my own clean room, i won't have to be late to school because i'm waiting for my turn to use the bathroom (or maybe i will, cassy takes forever in the shower, but at least she showers at all unlike someone), and most importantly, i'll actually have my own house where i could feel at home. no more living with a father who abused and ridiculed me at every chance he got, no more sleeping in cars, and no more having to depend on the good nature of other people to let us stay with them because we're too poor to have our own place.

the problem was exactly what you think it is. i was going to miss living with omar.

i was going to miss waking up and watching him still sleeping, sometimes he would drool in his sleep which was kinda gross but it was still one of his quirks that i thought was cute. he also snored when he slept, which was the reason why i had to plug in my headphones in order for me to fall asleep because his snores were too distracting, but over time they became soothing to me because they reminded me of him.

i was even going to miss bitching at him every day about how dirty his room was. can you believe that in the 3 months we've been living here, his problem with cleaning up after himself has gotten even worse? i swear the other day i witnessed him just throw his empty plate on the floor without even attempting to take it down to the trash. it's amazing how he doesn't have rats and mice crawling all over by now, because the concept of not treating your room like a giant trash can is definitely foreign to him.

i was in the process of packing all of my shit away to prepare for the move in a week or so, and as i continued to pack, it started to set in how sad i was to leave.

it's crazy how i walked into this house hating omar's whole existence and praying for the day where i wouldn't have to put up with him anymore and now he's the reason why i lowkey don't want to leave and have my own house.

my mother came upstairs and opened my door, to see if i needed help.

"mi hijo," she adressed me softly, "need any help with packing?"

i sighed and shook my head as i continued to tuck my clothing away in garbage bags.

instead of turning around and leaving, she sat on the air mattress and motioned for me to sit next to her. "gazzy, come sit," she beckoned. "i know you. you're upset. come talk to your mother."

i nodded and stopped what i was doing and i did what i was told, sitting next to her.

"now, you've been moping around ever since i told you i found us a place for us to stay. what's wrong? i thought you'd be happy to have your own place?" she questioned.

"i am happy to have my own place, but...." i trailed off. no way was i about to admit the real reason i was upset, because the more i thought about it, the more i realized how pathetic i sounded.

"but you're going to miss omar? is that what it is?"

i guess there was no need for me to admit it, because she already knew. damn, she could at least pretend that she can't read my mind. i swear mothers have special powers.

i nodded quickly at her question.

"gazzy, baby, it's not like you'll never see him again after we move. the house we're moving to isn't far away from here, it's not like you can't visit whenever he comes down here from college on the weekends," she put her arm around me to comfort me. "you'll still be able to see him, no need to be upset."

yeah, but i won't be able to see him that much, especially with him going away to college. i'd be lucky to see him once a week at that rate. neither of us have even really talked about what'll happen once he leaves, besides the agreement that we obviously won't be breaking up due to the move, but i was still not looking forward to going from seeing him all day every day to not seeing him at all.

"you two will make things work," she assured me with a smile. "i know you're upset now baby, but everything will be alright in the long run."

her words of encouragement made me feel slightly better, although i was still upset. i just tried to focus on the positive side of things and be happy that i would have my own house and my own room for the first time in months, and hope that my mom was right that we'll work it all out.

i could only hope she was right.

the day where i would be officially moving into our new house rolled around sooner than later, and as much as i tried to be excited, i just couldn't be.

the house was really nice. cassy and i had our own rooms, i had a comfy bed, a walk in closet, and we even had a pool in the backyard. the job that sarahi helped my mother get must have really been paying well, because this was way nicer than the house we lived in before we got kicked out. it's even nicer than my dad's house. i wouldn't have to be embarrased about inviting friends over anymore because my house looked a mess and had holes in the wall, or be embarrased because my dad was an unpredictable drunken mess who would sometimes scream at my mother while i had friends over, and people would spread rumors about my dad being a crackhead after they left my house.

diego tease.

"gazzy! we have a pool!" cassy exclaimed as she ran out to the backyard, "i'm never leaving the backyard."

"yay!" i exclaimed and ran behind her, deciding to just be happy about moving for once, even though i really wasn't, i knew my mother was right. i was still sad, but i was grateful that for once, it seemed like everything in my life was right in my life. i had a nice house of my own, my mother had gotten back on her feet, my sister and i were reunited, my dad was out of the picture, i had a few supportive friends, and i had the best boyfriend in the world.

it still made me sad that night when i went to bed and i wondered why omar wasn't cuddling me before i realized omar wasn't there, but that's cool i guess.

i'll just have to get used to it.

-

im sorry, this is such a boring filler chapter. i'll make it up to yall with smut next chapter💕