A Simple Smile

Sometimes I can hear random sounds somewhere in the building, like creaking or even the light taps of something. If I push myself hard enough, I think I can also hear voices that gives me hope that I am not alone.

-----

I jolted when the door creaked open and met with the eyes of him. He carried a tray that he carelessly placed nearby before throwing a pile of fabric onto the bed. He stood there for a moment as if waiting, and then finally left without a single word.

I stared after him, watching how he slowly closed to door and even how the door was left a crack open. My heart raced, excited that there was a free opportunity to escape. To run and risk it all just for a moment of getting to see if luck was truly on my side in escaping, but a small (maybe rational) side of me, beat some sense into me and said otherwise.

It's a test. He knows what he's doing. He'll be outside waiting for me and kill me on the spot before I can even cross the threshold. He'll have a knife, a sharp one to slide across my body. Maybe my neck–

Somewhere inside, I was still somewhat hopeful. What if he's not?

Don't you think he would make sure to monitor you? He has to keep an eye on you somehow and what's makes you think there isn't a camera installed in here... or even in the restroom.

A shiver crawled up my spine at the scary thought of being monitored and listened to my rational self in not trying to escape. Not yet at least.

-----

I woke up to the sound of the door creaking open and the thudding of familiar footsteps. It took a moment for me to actually gather my thoughts from the absent daze they drifted off to, but once I was in a somewhat awake state of mind, I continued to lay in bed in hopes for the visitor to leave soon.

Was he even a visitor? Maybe an intruder... or technically a guest? Well, it's not really my room though, or my home... I wonder...

I flinched at the sudden sound of something dropping to the floor and immediately stilled. Was he angry? Did he find something in here? Is this an angry burst and I am soon to meet my end!?

My eyes squeezed shut for a moment, carefully listening and waiting for the potential doom could potentially come. There was slight scraping against the concrete floor until eventually, it fell silent.

"Let's play." I bit back a scream at the fright his voice gave me. I peeled my eyes open and did my utmost best to feign as if I just awakened. He did not say anything else after that, but his hair fell into his eyes and obscured them. For all I knew, he was still watching me or looking down to the cards he was shuffling. 

Had to act natural, be... nice.

So with slow and hesitant movements, I drew myself out of the bed. I sat across from him and watched as he split up the cards properly.

He did not say anything, not even the name of the game we were playing. The set up of the cards was nonetheless familiar and reminded me of Speed. Hoping that I am not wrong, I carefully eye his hand that held onto one of the two single cards in the center, in wait.

I'll just hope he doesn't kill me if I accidentally win or something. I bit my lip and hesitantly joined him to flip the other singular card to begin the game.

-----

In the first game we played, I lost. I moved with very slow movements and was pensive. The next few rounds varied to more losses and a few wins. Initially, we were silent, even when one of us was done with our cards. Yet, midway through (after giving in to the fact that I was playing card games with my freaking kidnapper, utterly bonkers) I called speed when I won the round. From there, words were exchanged (albeit very little and on the game). 

"Last game." He had called. Looking up, I made eye contact with him. I nodded, replying with a nervous 'okay' as we played our last game. 

Maybe I was too into the game, but when I won it, I smiled up at him. I was taken aback by the sight of his own smile too but helped him in picking up the scattered cards.

Stupid! I'm so stupid! I got swept away by the moment and just smiled at him like we were friends or something. I internally screamed at my own stupidity

No, wait... I stilled from my self-torment. Remember, being nice, make... friends... and escape. We did well... Somewhat. We got this. Hopefully.