The Cold Shoulder

The door swung open and in stalked my kidnapper. In his hands was a tray of somewhat edible food that was meant to be my breakfast.

He dropped the tray onto the nightstand and fished into his pockets and took out his knife. With it, he cut the ropes on one of my hands and left the other one bound. I stared into his black eyes and flinched at the hard glare he gave me.

I avoided his gaze and waited for him to leave, listening as he slowly turned and walked up the creaky stairs. The door closed and I heard the lock on the door.

I waited until I couldn't hear his footsteps anymore to retrieve the food he left.

Munching on the food, I thought back. A week. It's been a week since he became like this. He hardly came down here and when he did come here, he would ignore me and just leave whatever necessities I needed.

It was nice... at first, thinking that I wouldn't have to bother much with him. But then, the silence reminded me of home. Of the nannies and housemaids that ignored me as they worked as well as my parents who busied themselves with work. Loneliness was with me once again, and this time I hated it more than ever.

Perhaps I liked when a stranger began to text me because they wanted to, not because my parents paid them to be my friend like in the past, even if the stranger just so happened to break into my house on occasions, and may have killed a few people.

Sighing, I continued to eat.

When night came, I laid awake. He had not come back since morning and my stomach was growling endlessly. My wrist stung and my throat was dry from the lack of water.

It was quiet, not a single sound in this empty house. My heart clenched at this and a wave of loneliness washed over me. I squeezed my eyes shut and laid in the bed while I tried to think of different things, things that were not depressing, that did not make me feel lonely.

I came to when I felt a harsh slap to my cheek. My eyes shot open and small tingles spread throughout my cheek and down my spine. Tears blurred my vision as I stared at the panting man above me and froze as he enveloped me in a hug.

"I-I thought you died." He whispered into my ear. I stared with wide eyes straight ahead and slowly look over to him. His hands were placed behind my head and my lower back, his head buried in my neck. I blushed at the sudden contact, surprised at it.

He held me for a few seconds before pushing me away. I yelped as my head made contact with the headboard and could only stare at him incredulously. He dark eyes bore into mine with mixed emotions. I watched with a soft throbbing on my head that would usually came from being hit there.

Before I could even manage to say something, he turned on his heel and walked away. His form disappeared, blending into the dark shadows of the windowless room.