Chapter 43

Justin

Justin

The party, much to the movie and novel clichés I am used to, is fairly tame. When Sophia first mentioned the party, I was under the impression it was going to be extravagant. Turns out, only the core group shows up. That includes Addie, Sophia, and their friends. Zander also invited some of his teammates along with their girlfriends. Also, not a lot of them drink alcohol. It's like a small get together. It doesn't even feel like the most overrated holiday.

Addie and I have been sitting by the bonfire since it started. It's surprisingly mild for February; there's no snow, it's cloudy, and there's no chilling wind. Honestly, though, how could it be cold with Addie snuggled up next to me? My arm is around her torso, her head is resting on my shoulder, and we're both feeling content.

After taking a sip of her orange pop, Addie looks up at me and asks, "So? How are you liking your first party?"

I blush a bit. It was a little embarrassing when I told Addie I'd never been to one of these things but she didn't make fun of me. "Honestly?" I ask, glancing at the people surrounding the bonfire. "Not what I was expecting. I thought it was going to be more like those cliché parties where everyone gets shitfaced and the music is vibrating off the walls."

Addie laughs and sets her drink down by her feet. "We never have parties like that. I mean, we did once, but we got busted by someone's mom – she came home in the midst and basically kicked everyone out. Moms can be scary when they're mad."

"Indeed they can," I muse.

Out of nowhere, Sophia comes bounding over and sits down on my left. She throws an arm around me. "How's it going?"

I'm caught off guard. Sophia and I – we like each other, but we don't ever really hug each other. It's when I look at Addie that I realize what's going on. With the combination of Addie's drinking motion and the potent scent of alcohol on Sophia's breath, I realize she's been drinking. I'm not judging her or anything. It's like my mom having a glass of wine with dinner: no big deal.

And if I'm being totally honest, Sophia is kind of funny when she's tipsy because she's extra cuddly and talkative, but also mellow. 

"Uh, great," I reply, holding back a laugh.

"How are you doing, Sophs?" Addie asks.

Sophia makes a funny face. "Ugh, I'm so great. I love parties. I love bonfires. I love margaritas." She pauses and pulls Addie and I in for a hug, spilling a bit of her drink on my jeans. "I love you guys."

With her cheek smushed against my shoulder, Addie laughs. "We love you, too, Sophs."

Pulling away, Sophia focuses her attention on me. "Justin," she says. "I'm so sorry that you have to go through this." She throws an arm around my shoulders before Addie can get her cheek off my shoulder, catching a few strands of Addie's hair. Next to me, Addie snorts. "But you know what?" Sophia continues, slurring her words together the slightest bit. "I think you're gonna be just fine, you strong boy, you."