Chapter 8

Adelaide

Adelaide

After several exhausting – but exciting – days of school, work, and keeping score, it's finally Friday, and the third week of October is almost over. I'm pleased with the way the first month and a bit of my senior year has gone so far. Sophia, me, and the girls have won every basketball game, I aced the English test, and I'm excelling in all my classes. I've even been requested to be part of the grad council just like my mom was when she was in high school.

As I sit down beside Sophia and the girls for lunch after first period, I find myself searching the room for a certain someone.

Justin McCallister has officially invaded my brain.

I don't know when it happened, but it's like making friends: It just happens. There's a sudden connection.

Whatever the reason behind it, I've got it bad for him. He's not what any girl in this school would call "hot," but I don't care. Mom and Dad raised me better than that; they've told me since the day my memory kicked into action that it's what's on the inside that counts.

Justin doesn't have the typical jock-build, he's not taller than me, and he's certainly not bleeding confidence, but he is sweet, funny, and respectful. He's different.

"Levesque!" Nadira says, snapping her fingers in my face. "Look alive!"

I blink, swat her hand away, and then begin unpacking my lunch. From the quick sweep I did, Justin isn't in the cafeteria. "What?" I ask, annoyed. I take a bite of my sandwich.

"She asked if you and your family are having the usual Halloween party this year," Jacey inputs.

"What kind of a question is that?" Sophia scoffs, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "Of course Uncle Brett and Aunty Mira are having a Halloween party – they do every year. Dad would lose his shit if they didn't."

I choke on the water I'm drinking, spewing it all over the table as I laugh. Uncle Hart would lose his shit – he's about as traditional as it gets. There always has to be a Halloween party just like Christmas dinner always has to be held at my grandparents' house. Mom is like that, too. No surprise there, though – Uncle Hart and Mom are basically siblings.

I look a Nadira and nod my head. Nadira is from India, with brown skin, brown eyes, and dark hair that's been pulled back into a braid today. "Yes, we are having a Halloween party." I shoot a joking glare at Sophia.

She grins and pokes me in the arm.

Jacey tucks a lock of her red hair behind her ear. "So, what are we all going as this year?"

The girls begin to throw ideas around. I hear the typical ideas that involve sexy lingerie and showing off our bodies. Jacey suggests Disney Princesses. Sophia suggests...Well, I don't actually hear what Sophia says because I catch a familiar figure from the corner of my eye.