Chapter 38

Justin

Justin

When Addie and her dad leave, I tell Mom about Addie's theory. It catches her off guard just as badly as it did to me.

Mom's eyes widen. "It could be possible. Do you want me to contact the hospital?"

Surprised with myself, I nod. I never wanted to consider brain surgery ever again, but if it means I have one more chance at beating this, then so be it. "Please."

Mom gives me a hug and a kiss on the cheek. "Then we'll do it." She pauses. "What happens if it is growing back?"

I think about everything Addie said to me. I've done this once and healed. Who's to say I can't do it again? This time, it's going to be different. I've got people who can rally around me; people that love me.

I look my mom directly in the eye. "Then I go through the surgery again. If the tumour is back, then it's a chance I'm willing to take."

Mom doesn't hide her surprise and neither does Chris, who is now standing in the doorway of the kitchen. "Well," she says. "I'll make the call tomorrow."

I give her a hug. "Thanks, Mom."

Today has been another exhausting day of emotions, but nothing bad came out of the discussion this time around. Rubbing my tired eyes, I announce that I'm going to bed. It's only 7:30 p.m., but I didn't get much sleep last night and today was crazy. I think I have the right to go to bed.

Just as I'm passing Chris, he asks, "So does this mean Addie is coming over again?"

I ruffle my little brother's hair. "I think so, bud. I think so."

I leave the room with a big smile.