Chapter 30

Adelaide

Adelaide

I don't know what Justin's doing, but he's hurting me, squeezing me to the point where I can barely breathe.

"Justin," my voice coming out a pitch higher than usual. "What's wrong? What's going on? Are you okay?"

I try to push him away and get a better look at his face, but it's no use. He's pretty strong considering the fact that he's leaner than most boys our age.

And then it happens.

I'm so caught off guard by the sudden weight I'm bearing, that I tumble to the ground, too, knocking my shoulder against the corner of the countertop. Pain flashes through my upper body and lower body - the kitchen tile is hard against my butt.

"Ow," I groan.

But the pain quickly fades away when I realize what's going on with Justin.

I've heard of seizures, but I've never seen someone have one before.

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do, and I wish Mom was here to help.

Tears begin to stream my face. I've heard of people dying from seizures, and it kills me as I watch Justin's body shake uncontrollably. His lips are blue and his breathing has gone down considerably.

Pulling myself out from under him, the first instinct I have is to grip his ankles and tug him away from anything that could hurt him, such as the corner of the cupboard. It's a little hard, considering how he's flailing about, but I manage.

After that, I frantically find my phone and call 911. I don't know what else to do. How long can these things last before they cause significant damage?

The operator on the other side answers instantly. "Nine-one-one operator. What's your emergency?"

"I need help. M-my boyfriend is having a seizure. I n-need an ambulance here as soon as p-possible." I don't know how I manage to speak. I've never felt so distressed, frightened, useless, and frustrated before. I hate that there's nothing I can do except call 911.

"Where are you?"

Realizing that I'm not going to get through this if I keep looking at Justin, I turn my back to him. It might be a mistake, but if I'm going to get through this call, I need to look away. I quickly give the operator my address.

"What is your name?" the operator asks.

"Adelaide Levesque."

"Help is on the way, don't hang up."

I squeeze my eyes shut as a sob wracks through my body. Why is this happening? I know you can suffer a seizure from too much heat, but it's the middle of December, and it's not like our house is too hot.

"Are you okay, miss? Were you hurt?"

I think for a moment. My shoulder did hit the corner of the counter with a decent level of force, but I don't think any skin was torn. And my butt is definitely bruised after not being able to brace myself for the fall. "No," I reply, shaking my head. "I'm fine."

"Is your boyfriend still in the midst of a seizure?"

I don't want to turn around, but this is for Justin's health. So I do. To my surprise - and extreme relief - he's stopped moving, save for his chest rising and falling. But he's still unbearably pale as he sleeps.

"Do you know how long the seizure lasted?"

"No," I reply, feeling guilty. I had no idea that I was supposed to keep track of the time. I kneel down beside Justin and brush his hair from his face. It felt like twenty minutes, but there's no way it lasted that long. I want to ask a series of questions, but I'm too scared to know the answer. If Justin's not okay when he wakes up...

Just then, there's a knock at the door. "Come in," I yell. Then, in a much quieter voice, I tell the operator the ambulance has arrived and then hang up.

Sure enough, two paramedics come in carrying a stretcher. Another paramedic trails behind them carrying a medical bag.

I answer some questions for them as they lift Justin onto the stretcher, careful not to hurt him. I tell them he collapsed, taking me down with him, and that I took the brunt of the fall. So Justin didn't hit his head on anything, there's a lesser chance of a concussion.

When he's on the stretcher and being taken out to the ambulance, sleeping through the whole thing, I follow them, thinking I'll be able to go along with them.

One of the paramedics, however, stops me.

"I'm sorry, miss, but you can't come with us."

My heart drops. "What? Why?"

"Sorry," he responds. "That's just the way it is."

I watch the ambulance, cringing when the back doors shut and the paramedics get it.

Realization hits me. I can't let Justin wake up in the hospital alone. Waking up all alone and in a new place would be terrifying.

Wiping away my tears, I sprint back to the house to grab my bag and keys. Screw the Winter Formal and any plans we made tonight. Justin is going to need me and I need to make sure he's okay.

Locking the front door behind me, I quickly text Soph, telling her to go to the dance; I build a lie and say Justin and I decided not to go. I then toss my phone into my bag and get into my vehicle, hoping that Justin doesn't wake up before I get there.

For the whole drive, I barely pay attention to the road - it's a miracle I don't get into an accident. All I can think about is Justin and if he'll be okay.