Chapter 13

Justin

Justin

So far, the night has been excellent. No auras; no nervous feeling in my stomach. And I love Addie's family more than I love my own. Meeting her grandparents – all three of them – was a little scary, but it did better prepare me for meeting her parents.

I'll admit that I was fucking terrified of meeting her parents after my mom finished telling them about the complications I have, but they were both accepting. Something that I'm not used to, so I didn't know whether I should start crying hysterically or aggressively pinch my arm to wake myself up. Thankfully, I did neither, and I realized this is real. That this new sense of belonging is actually something I'm beginning to feel again.

It's weird and wonderous at the same time.

I'm so used to people instantly pushing me away like I'm infected with a deadly disease rather than hugging me and whispering in my ear that my secret is safe with them until I want to tell Addie.

I don't know how long it's been since I got here, but I'm now sitting on the floor with Addie, Sophia, Nadira, Jacey, and Jake and Alex, playing a board game called Aggravation that involves dice and marbles. I wasn't keen on playing it at first, but now I understand why it has that name. I swear to God Addie just plays the game to spite people. This is the third time all my marbles have been sent back to base, and the fifth time Sophia has thrown Addie's wig across the living room.

Maybe I'm being selfish, having fun and forgetting who I am and what's wrong with me, but I can't help it. I've never felt so normal; feeling normal is something I've wanted for years and now I'm beginning to remember what it was like before I was diagnosed.

I'm happy.

I'm laughing.

I'm having fun.

I wish this night would never end.

"Ugh," Addie says to Alex. "What did I ever do to you, Alex?"

Alex looks at Addie with disbelief. "Are you kidding me? You've sent at least one marble of mine back home each round!"

Addie grins, and it's a grin I've seen on her before – the cocky one that I adore. It only happens when she knows she's right or she's teasing someone. "Oops?" Addie asks, giggling.

I laugh along with her. I'd keep playing this game with her all night even if it meant getting my ass kicked.

Jake elbows me in the bicep. "My sister is evil. I don't know why you hang out with her." Though he says it jokingly, I know there's some underlying message there. Am I being too obvious with my crush on Addie?

To my dismay, I feel a slight burn in my cheeks and that the butterflies in my stomach activate. And along with that activation, I feel an obnoxious chill go down my spine.

Shit.

It really does look like all good things come to an end.

"Addie?" I ask quickly, trying to keep my tone even. "Where's the bathroom?"