Chapter 9

Justin

Justin

I don't blame Addie's cousin for making that stinging remark.

Chemistry is a class that makes me nervous. Although the teachers have been made aware of my condition, Chem still gets to me – especially during the lab component. One seizure and I could be spilling a corrosive substance all over the person beside me or myself. That aside, nervousness is a major component that induces the seizures. Be it going in for an appointment or simply entering a class, if nervousness is involved, it's bound to happen to me.

What I'm basically saying is that Sophia Clarke has seen me have a partial seizure countless times. And each time, I have made the dreadful mistake of trying to talk back to her. I don't know why – where the tumour was and the scar tissue now resides in my brain is what causes the English malfunction; it's what prevents me from speaking.

The fact that epilepsy can snatch more than my licence from me pisses me off. Not being able to talk makes people think of me either as a rude guy or a total freak.

So it's no wonder that Sophia hates me.

When Mom picks me up from school later that day, I'm completely drained of any energy I had. And – surprise, surprise – it's not because of a seizure. What people don't understand is that the very essence of their judgemental emotions is enough to wear me down.

When we get home, I head straight for my bedroom, not wanting to get into a conversation with Mom and give her the daily update that would go something like, "Oh, on the plus side, I talked to Addie today and didn't have a seizure. But on the downside, her cousin hates me."

With my bedroom door closed, but not locked, I stare at my phone, wishing that Addie would text me. It's become a habit of ours. I know I said we didn't talk much, but we do text a lot. And I've come to enjoy it.

Sighing, I grab the book I've been reading for the past couple of days. For the past five years or so, books have been my only friends. I find the characters to be more relatable than actual people. They also never leave you behind; they're always there for you no matter what. 

Ten minutes later, my phone dings.

I'm really sorry about Soph during lunch. I don't know why she was acting like she was – usually she's really nice. Seriously, though, Justin. I'm so sorry.

Guilt spears through me. I should have stayed – Addie probably wanted to say that to me during lunch. But the aura invaded my stomach while she was talking to Sophia and I panicked. What I have with Addie, I don't want to lose, and when the aura hits, I can never be sure if I'm actually going to have a seizure or not. That's why I ran.

Lucky for me, I didn't have one.

Unlucky for me, I didn't spend as much time as I would've liked with Addie.