Chapter 56

Adelaide

Adelaide

I don't get home until late. Justin, Chris, and I spend hours writing, revising, and editing until we come out with a piece of writing that we're all satisfied with. I have high hopes for this letter because I think it covers everything, including emotions, very well. Then, halfway home, I have to pull over and answer a call from Sophia. She spends about twenty minutes going on and on about her dark purple grad dress that finally arrived in the mail. I'm happy for her, I really am, but as soon as we say our goodbyes, I'm reminded that I still haven't gotten a dress yet.

It's not my fault. I've been so busy with helping Justin recover, studying for finals, and figuring out how to help Chris that I haven't even thought about getting a grad dress. Besides, it's not like I need another one – I could just use the dress I got for the Winter Formal.

But I'm not entirely sold on that. Although I hate falling into the same category as other girls, I kind of want to find a dress. I know, it's a big surprise considering how much I hate dress shopping, but grad only happens once and I want it to be special. Especially for Justin.

As I'm heating up some leftovers, I begin to list the stores in Kelowna that I could maybe find a dress. There are plenty, but I have one problem: the good ones have probably been picked over already.

I sigh. Maybe my dress will have to do – I'd rather not go through the dress shopping shenanigan again.

"What's wrong, Ads?"

I jump, letting out a yelp and nearly dropping my plate of pasta. I spin around quickly, coming face-to-face with Dad. I exhale deeply, trying to calm my frantically beating heart. "Don't sneak up on me like that, Dad." I squint at him. "I thought you and Mom would've been in bed by now."

"Sorry," he grins. "And we were watching a movie on Netflix."

"Don't you have to work tomorrow?" I ask, even though I know we're closed this Sunday. I'm just being snippy because I'm embarrassed that he scared me as badly as he did.

"Brett," Mom says, walking up behind Dad. "You're lucky she doesn't have my reactions or else your nose would be broken."

Dad glances at the ceiling. "Why do I always feel outnumbered?"

"Because you are," I laugh. "Even when Jake and Alex are present, you are still outnumbered."

Mom laughs. Dad rolls his eyes. I got to grab a fork so I can start the process of curing my grumbling stomach. I ate at Justin's, but that was hours ago and I'm starving now.

Once I've grabbed the fork, I hoist myself up onto the countertop and begin to eat. After a couple of bites, I respond to my dad's question. "Sophia got her dress for grad today. I'm happy for her, but her call just reminded me that I don't have a dress. Justin's excited for grad, but I feel like I'm going to let him down – he's asked me many times about what colour his tie should be." I pause and watch the noodles wrap around the fork as I spin it in a circular motion. "I don't want to disappoint him."