Chapter 45

Justin

Justin

It's the day before I have to leave for Vancouver and I'm having a hard time packing. Not because I don't know what to pack, but because I don't want to. My mind is spinning; the next three months are going to be rough for me.

Where did the time go?

Why did it pass by so fast?

It feels like just yesterday Addie and I were dealing with a drunken Sophia. That we almost, uh, yeah. Did something.

I force myself to stop thinking about what almost happened because every time I do, I go back to asking myself if I did the right thing or not. Deep down, I know I did, but there's still that ever-present pinch of self-doubt.

Thankfully, there's a knock at my door.

"Justin?" Chris calls from behind the door of my bedroom.

"Yeah?" I shout, walking over to open the door. When I do, Chris is standing there, hands stuffed into his pockets.

"Mom says we're going to go to the grocery store and get some snacks for the drive tomorrow. Want to come? She's out warming the car right now."

I glance back at the mess I call my bedroom. Grocery stores aren't really my ideal destination, but it would probably be best for me to get out and do something other than have a mental argument about packing with myself. "Sure," I shrug, grabbing a sweater from the back of my door. "Let's go."

As Chris and I walk side-by-side down the stairs, I get this strange feeling that my little brother has something to say to me. But I don't say anything. Knowing Chris, he's someone that would rather ignite the conversation than be dragged into it.

Finally, just before we're at the door to the garage, Chris stops and turns to me. "I don't want to keep going back and forth anymore. I want to stay here with you and Mom."

I blink. I was expecting him to say something about my upcoming surgery or tell me what he was going to pick for his road trip snack. Not bring up his current living situation.

"I'm twelve now, going to be thirteen in June. I think I'm old enough to make decisions now."

I contemplate his words. He should be old enough. And though he doesn't say anything, I know this going back and forth shit has been hard for Chris. Everybody in their right mind knows it's wrong that my father received the privilege of having Chris stay at his house. I don't know what the rules in BC are for custody or divorced parents living, but I vow to myself that I'm going to look into it.

Leaning down so I'm eye-to-eye with my little brother, I rest a hand on his shoulder and say, "In my opinion, your voice mattered from the beginning. The police and court systems are unstable and run by a bunch of losers. No matter what, you should always listen to the children or child. I don't know what the rules are in BC, but I promise I'm going to look them up tonight and find some information that will help us, okay? Our father has gotten away with shit he shouldn't have and it's unfair to Mom and us."

With tears welling in his eyes, Chris nods. "Thank you, Justin."

I pull him in for a hug, feeling extremely choked up myself. "I know we don't get along sometimes, Chris. But you're my little brother; I love you and I will do anything for you."

He mumbles something into my shoulder, but it's too incoherent for me to hear. Not that I need to. This moment is enough for me to hold onto. Now I fully understand why Addie counts the little moments instead of the big ones.

From the other side of the door, Mom honks the horn of the car.

"C'mon," I say, pulling out of the hug. "Mom's waiting."

Chris smiles and gives me a small shove before exiting the mudroom.

I smile to myself as the door closes.

It's not much, but I'll take it.