Chapter 21

Justin

Justin

I have this habit of staring into the mirror and seeing my full potential. In a single glimpse, I can see what I would be capable of doing: playing hockey, driving, having a girlfriend, and all the other shit I can't access. It makes me feel high and happy and it ignites hope deep within me.

Then reality just fucks it all up.

And that's exactly what's running through my head right now.

I'm looking at the relationship Addie and I could have if I didn't have epilepsy and then I realize it will never actually happen.

Which makes me an idiot for agreeing to go on a date with her.

The lack of control I have is a dependent variable that depends on how much my own body resents me that specific day. I have no idea how Saturday night is going to go, but I know that there's a greater risk of a seizure when I feel nervous. And shit, I'm nervous. I've never been on an actual date before, and now here I am, with a girl like Addie.

My logical side knows I should shut this down, come up with some type of excuse that is legitimate enough for her to believe, but I don't want to miss out on this chance I have. And maybe, just maybe, if Addie got to know me a little more, she'd be capable of looking past my condition and liking me for who I am underneath the symptoms.

The fact that she asked me out must mean something, right?

Glancing up from my scarce notes, I sneak a peek at Addie. Her cheeks are no longer pink from her cute babbling that happened earlier and instead of writing notes, she's doodling along the edge of her lined paper.

Though I'm in the midst of doubting the outcome and questioning everything I've agreed to, it brings a smile to my face and lightens the load on my heart. Seeing her display nervous behaviour because of an upcoming event with someone like me makes me feel a hint of importance.

It's a wonderful feeling - something I lack severely.

Feeling important.

Like someone genuinely cares for me.

It's something I've been longing for.