Chapter 46

Justin

Justin

Something's up when we get home from the grocery store.

How do I know?

Because Addie's vehicle is parked in our driveway, while four others are parked along the side of the road, their tires almost on the front lawn.

"What the hell?" I mutter to myself as Mom pulls into the garage. I turn to look at Mom. "What's going on?"

She flattens her lips into a line and she shakes her head.

It's her way of telling me that she's not going to reveal why Addie and other guests are here. I look back at Chris. He's gazing out the window with a smirk on his face.

Wow. I'm getting the cold shoulder from my two favourite family members. How sweet.

I enter the house cautiously, a couple of grocery bags in hand, wondering what I'm going to find in the kitchen because, from the hallway, I can hear voices. Addie is definitely here. I think I hear Sophia and Zander, too. The rest are just too muffled for me to make out.

I pause, taking a deep breath in case they catch me off guard. They all know what's wrong with me, but it's still embarrassing to have a seizure in front of my friends – tonic-clonic or partial, it doesn't matter.

Finally, I round the corner and step into the kitchen.

Sure enough, I see Addie, Sophia, Zander, Jacey, Nadira, Jake, Alex, Addie's parents, and a couple other adults I recognize as Sophia's parents. My eyes widen the slightest bit as I set the grocery bags down on the counter. As I do that, something in the bag clinks against the granite, and everyone turns to look at me, suddenly going silent.

"Uh, hey," I say slowly.

Addie walks over and gives me a hug. "I tried to tell Sophia that a party wasn't really your thing, but then she pulled everyone in, and, well, I couldn't stop them. Sorry."

I smile against her neck. This has got to be one of the best things anyone has ever done for me. "It's okay," I reply. "Seriously. This is awesome. Thank you."

When Addie pulls away, we stare at each other for a moment and I realize just how exhausted she looks. I can see the nervousness in her eyes. It mirrors the look I saw in my eyes when I was brushing my teeth this morning.

I reach out and squeeze her hand. "Let's forget about what's to come for now," I say softly. I gesture to the stacked boxes of pizza and the board games on the dining room table. "Right now, I want to eat pizza and play board games with our friends."

She smiles. "That sounds fantastic."

After that, the party starts. First, I make my rounds and say hi to everyone, thanking them for coming. Next, the teenagers migrate into the living room, while the adults hang out in the kitchen. As I exit with the group, I glance over my shoulder and look at my mom. She's smiling and laughing with her newfound friends and I feel my eyes burn. My father was controlling; barely let my mom spend time with her friends or have them over while they were married. In fact, I heard him say multiple times that he hated her friends back in Cache Creek.