Chapter 54

Adelaide

Adelaide

The first week of Justin's healing process is slow, making the days seem like they drag on and on. Because Helene works, I offer to take a week off school and take care of Justin during the day. I find it ridiculous that she can't get time off of work to take care of her recovering son, but I don't mind taking on the task of watching over him. All I really have to do is wake him up every few hours so he can take some pain meds and make sure he doesn't develop any symptoms that could raise a red flag for meningitis. Other than that, he can do most things by himself so long as he treats himself with extra caution. It actually surprises me how mobile he can be after such an intense surgery. Though a simple task such as walking does tire him out easily.

The only time we really have a problem is when night falls and it's time for bed. Because of the stitches and the amount of healing that's going on, Justin can't lie back completely, meaning each night before I go home, Helene and I spend a good fifteen minutes piling pillow after pillow around Justin to make sure he's propped up but in comfortable enough way that he doesn't strain his neck. Every time we do it, Justin mutters words about how he doesn't need the special treatment. My response is always the same: "You've been through an invasive surgery, Justin. Stop being modest and let us take care of you."

He usually shuts up after I say that.

The second week is aggravating for Justin because the itching has started and he can't risk scratching around the incision and meddling with the stitches. In between classes, I endlessly search Pinterest for remedies that can stop the itching healing incisions bring. I would have stayed with Justin longer, but I didn't want to make Sophia gather up our homework any longer. At least while I'm there, I can keep up and gather everything Justin needs. Anyway, I had no such luck finding anything to help stop the itching and when I asked my mom about it, she told me he's just going to have to deal with it.

By the third week, Justin's almost himself again. He rarely has to take pain meds, the stitches have started to dissolve, and he's started doing mild exercise routines. He does get tired easily still, but not as bad as before. Instead of needing a nap every couple of hours, he only needs one after school or when he's exerted too much energy. But, like every recovery process, there are days where the cycle needs to be broken. He begins to attend school, but only the classes that require attendance.

It takes a full month and three days for Justin to get back to normal. Today's the first day he's been at school without displaying any fatigue or has any plans of returning home. 

"It's amazing that you're here," Sophia says, still amazed. "I thought you'd still be in bed or something at this point."

"Soph," Zander says, "he was here last week, too."

"Yeah, I know," she replies. "But he's been here all day and he's not planning on going home, right Justin?"

Normally, Justin would nod his head. But because he's still wary about everything, he gives my cousin a thumbs-up with his free hand. His other hand is too busy resting on my hip.