Chapter 23

Justin

Justin

"You've really taken your medication?"

I press my forehead harder against the cool surface of the window of the car and stifle an annoyed groan. "Yes," I reply through gritted teeth. "I took it an hour before we left, Mom."

Though I don't look in her direction, I know she's looking at me with that usual saddened, pitiful look that I've come to despise. Yeah, I get it – Mom cares about me and loves me, but that look just kills.

"It's going to be fine," I continue. "Addie's parents and her aunt are there tonight."

This time I dare to glance at Mom. Her stiffened posture has relaxed a little now that she knows there's going to be someone who knows the situation in the building. "You know it worries me, right?" she asks softly.

I sigh. "I know it does. It worries me. It worries everyone. The unpredictability of it all."

Mom pulls up in front of the restaurant and shifts into park, swivelling in her seat to look at me. "I just want what's best for you."

I subdue the spark of anger I feel. I just want what's best for you. I hate that saying. I feel like it categorizes me; throws me into a category that's anything but normal.

Unbuckling my seatbelt, I jump out of the car. "Thanks for the ride. I'll text you when we're finished."

If Mom is offended by my lack of acknowledgement, she doesn't show it; she smiles at me and wishes me good luck on my first date and tells me to take as much time as I want.

I stare at the taillights as they meld in with the noisy traffic of downtown Kelowna, thinking about what Mom said about wanting the best for me. The best for me. Hah. Unless someone comes up with some type of cure, I'm screwed. Shaking my head, I turn to the entrance of the restaurant. I need to get into a better mood. I have a date with the prettiest, funniest, kindest girl I've ever met.

Inside the restaurant is abuzz with chatty people, great music, and overall, a happy, carefree vibe. The style is contemporary with some rustic features. The floor is old, washed-out oak, the walls are painted a warm greyish-brown, save for the back one that is completely made out of brick. Potted plants spot the area, giving it a homey feel. It's stunning, but I think my favourite part is the oversized wooden Canadian flag that resides over the bar area. I find myself in awe with how Addie's parents designed and decorated the place.

Dressed in sleek black pants and a white top with her dirty blonde hair tied in a high ponytail, Sophia's mom walks up to me and says, "Addie's at the back of the building in the booth that has the best view of the lake."

I thank her, and I mentally thank Addie for inviting me to the Halloween party. Meeting her family before we started dating is working to my advantage. I don't feel nearly as nervous now that I can put a face to a name.