Vampire Academy - Last Sacrifice - My Version - Chapter 18

Chapter 18

The executer came towards me and pulled me up the steps. I stepped forward onto the trap door that was soon to be opened so I would fall into the pit of death. The executer didn't even look at my face. I lifted my head high. This day will remembered as the day they murdered an innocent girl. I thought to myself. I felt the rope wrap around my neck. It felt heavy upon my shoulders. The executer then tied it. I took a deep breath as the man stepped toward the leaver that would open the door beneath my feet. I could feel Lissa screaming in my head for me to take it off and run but I couldn't move my body. I was frozen in place.

"Wait! I have evidence that she is innocent." I could hear the voice shouting but I didn't no whether it was true or not. Footsteps ran up to the device and I could hear the voice again.

"Touch that fucking leaver and I will slice off your head with my own two hands!" I think the executer stepped away. I felt hands around my neck and then the rope was lifted off over my head. I collapsed into Abe's arms. "You're safe don't worry! I have found something which will prove your innocence." I just stayed silent. I didn't even no what to say. I was about five seconds away from death. If he had taken any longer it would have been too late. I stepped out of his arms and looked around for Lissa. I could feel her emotions; she was happy but still scared. When I saw her Christian was holding her. She was shaking so badly. In fact I was shaking. I saw Dimitri next to them. His face was full of pain but I could see the happiness in his eyes that I was ok. He smiled at me and my heart melted. I was actually alive. I looked around for the judge. She smiled at me. I think she was relieved that I hadn't been hung especially since this new evidence had just come to light. So what was this new evidence? The judge then spoke as loudly as she could. "New evidence has come to light. We shall take this back into the court room and discuss our next force of action." The audience this time led the way into the court room. I followed a few minutes later, after I had managed to put one foot in front of the other. I took my seat this time with Zmey next to me. The court had silenced. The evidence I have is a confession from the murderer on video tape. There was now a television in front of the court room. The judge had to come down from her stand and stood next to me so she could see it. Zmey then clicked play.

Mikhail sat in a room in a bed. He shuffles around for a minute trying to get the it to face him. When he did he sat still and then began. "This is a message for Rose Hathaway. Rose if your watching this right now I am so glad otherwise the chances are you will be dead." He looked down at the floor clearly ashamed of what he did. "Rose, I am so sorry, I never meant to betray you. You gave me so much hope and I know you trusted me which is why I am recording this now to clear your name. If he knew that I had done this he would kill me Rose!" I sighed deeply and carried on. "I received a phone call a few weeks ago from Viktor Dashkov; he told me he could save Sonya and bring her back as soon as the Queen was dead. I know it was wrong to make a deal with him but you know what it's like to love someone that you know is out there and not be able to have them." Yes he was right I did no that but I wouldn't put the whole race at risk just to try and help myself. "He told me exactly what I should do. He told me to steal your silver stake whilst wearing glove, so I did. He sent me two rings which were compelled to make whoever two people that wore them fight against each other. He told me to put them on the guards that would be outside of the Queens bedroom at night." He lifted my stake and showed it too the camera, he had put his gloves back on. He then held out his hand with the two rings on his palm. I shook my head in disbelief. "He told me that I should go to the Queen's room and the guardians outside would tell me I can't go in and that is when I should tell them that I wasn't there to see the Queen I was there to deliver to them a new compulsory part of the uniform. I should explain to them that the rings were charmed with something that would stop them from being compelled. They would both slip the rings on and immediately start fighting each other. They should both be down in minutes unconscious. Viktor then told be to go into the Queens room and stab her in the heart with the stake leaving it in her heart for someone to find and then leave immediately. As soon as I have done I will ring him for more instructions." He looked straight at the camera. "I am really sorry Rose for setting you up but I have to save Sonya. I hope this tape will be found in time." The tape then cut off. I couldn't believe that he had actually saved me from dying. Not that I was excusing what he had done but still, I was going to live. The audience were back in full talk mode. The judge then stood up and walked to her stand. "Order, everyone quiet." Everyone then fell silent once again. "I declare that Rose Hathaway is free of all charges and is to be released with immediate affect." I felt like jumping up and down but I thought it was probably best not too. "Well done Rose, you did it, you got off." One of the guards had stepped towards me. I smiled at him. "Thanks, for everything, you have been really helpful through all of this." He nodded and walked off. I couldn't wait to get out of the room. I looked over at Zmey. "You pulled through, you were extremely late but a least I am alive." He nodded his head.