34 | Vampire with the Strongest Pyre

“Wake up, Asteria.”

A whisper from a husky voice of a male, it was so hot that my body feels burning too much. My cheeks, my skin, the scorching presence keeps my body igniting.

Unti-unti kong idinilat ang mata ko at bumungad sa akin ang mga mata na ilang beses ko nang natititigan. His almost transparent eyes are staring at me with only a small distance between our noses, but what caught my attention is the reflection of flames through the mirror of his soul, and my body floating with pair of lean arms carrying me.

Nanlaki ang mata ko sa kabiglaan, at mabilis na nailibot ang paningin sa paligid. Inside the barrier of god-knows-what, those dark-colored flames in depth and the familiar golden flickers on its peak reminds me of his hellfire, as it keeps igniting, giving off scorching feelings but isn't enough to burn me to ashes.

His flames are trying to break free from the glowing barrier that intensifies every time they're contacting, and passing through those barriers, are the eyes of the ocean of people gazing at us with both fear and amazement that could be seen on their faces.

“What the f—” freak is happening?

“Your mouth, Your Highness.” Mariin nyang pagpuputol sa aking sinasabi at dahan-dahan akong binaba.

Pagtapak pa lamang ng aking paa sa puno nang nakaramdam ako ng malakas na presensya. My mouth gape and couldn't help but look below in curiosity, but the presence of a dark aura from the tree keeps intensifying!

“What's happening?” A whisper that's directly from him. His hands remained on my waist which is fine since he's only protecting me from the fire that's rummaging inside, and from the thin flames that's we're stepping that I've only noticed.

“You put yourself in this situation. Among places you'll choose to sleep, you decided to choose this. . . unbelievable.” Natawa ito bago ako hinilang palapit sa kanya. “Pardon my rudeness again, Your Highness, but I must keep you close or this tree will suck your life force.” Kalmado nitong sabi na ikinabaling ko sa kanya, halos magkanda-duling sa lapit ng aming pwesto.

He remained looking around, maybe trying to look for some backdoor, which gave me enough chance to see his face.

That's when I noticed how perfect this guy, from the ability he let go that remained raging inside the barrier, to his face without pores on his alabaster skin, brows that aren't too thick but not thin, eyelashes that are much longer than mine, an attractive nose and kissable lips. His body has perfect structure but it's his intelligence that caught my attention.

Intelligent people are really attractive to me.

But. . . “Wait, is this the famous cursed tree?” I asked with disbelief.

I don't know! The reason why I chose this one is that it's huge and seemed peaceful to sleep, especially it's far from other trees and the birds are avoiding it, which I assumed that those mystical beasts would do too. I know about the famous cursed tree for killing every life force that touches it and. . . oh god!

That is the reason why it's far from other living things!

He didn't answer, yet pulled me close until I'm almost leaning on his chest. My heart started pounding hard, feeling his body close with mine.

“What are you doing, Kaellus?” A soft voice came out from the nervousness I'm feeling.

Shit. We're too close and no one embraced me like this except for my family!

“I'm going to destroy this thing so we could escape. As much as possible, stay close with me,” he whispered in my ears as slowly, his hand crawl at the small back of mine. “This will protect you from intense heat. I'll face any punishment, Princess, but let me protect you first.” And his words made my heartbeat intensifies.