07.| biology class

They met in their Biology class, both of them wrapped up in their own heads

                     They met in their Biology class, both of them wrapped up in their own heads. Brooke was having a really hard time focusing on anything, all she could think about is the texts and suspects.

Alistair wasn't particularly paying attention to his thoughts, they ran through his head like race cars and he couldn't really make out a specific topic he was thinking about. He was tired. Of them, himself and everything around him.

Except Brooke. He wasn't tired of her.

His eyes found her bright blonde hair in the far corner of the class. His legs subconsciously walking there. It almost felt like she put him under a spell of some kind. And he hasn't even made eye contact with her yet. He knows if he did, he would drown in her eyes.

"Is this seat taken?" His voice traveled softly through the air reaching Brooke in an awakening wave.

"No," She smiled softly and patted at the seat to usher him to sit down. He sat down and flashed her grin of his own.

Both of them sat in silence, not really comfortable yet not unbearably uncomfortable. Brooke searched through her mind for some kind of a question that would make a good conversation.

"What's the best complement your have ever received ?" Brooke turned her gaze towards him to find him already staring intently at her. He cleared his throat, the tips of his ears turning a shade redder as he got caught staring.

"Um-- I haven't really thought about it," He bit the inside of his cheek. "I think the best complement I have ever received is that I'm kind, or that's was so kind of you, something along those lines." Alistair always tried his best to treat people equally and kindly. He understands what's like to be judged and misunderstood.

"I have heard something about you today," Brooke dropped her gaze as she looked at her hands. "I heard you punched Orion because he punched you first," Alistair's breath got caught in her throat as he waited for her to continue talking.

"I also heard that Orion wasn't being nice towards an African-American guy and that you tried to defend that guy," She tucked a strand of her blonde hair behind her ear as she made eye contact with him. "And I think that's pretty kind of you to do." She rendered him a breathtaking smile that left Alistair seeing the stars.

"A--um--thank you." He smiled back, genuinely this time as he felt warmth slip through the cracks between his soul.

"Don't mention it." She smiled teasingly at him before turning back to her textbook.

Alistair wanted to say something else, anything. Her voice was the only thing that has managed to shut his thoughts and demons lately. Music just won't do it anymore, not after hearing her talk about her favorite Marvel movie and her dogs.

"What about you?" He found himself asking. He wanted the conversation to keep going. He wanted to peak at her personal life more.

"Huh?" She turned her eyes away from the book and looked at him, her torso moved along with her eyes showing him that he has her full attention.

"What's the best complement you have received?" A soft yet slightly sad smile made its way onto Brooke's lips as she remembered.

"When somebody tells me that I look happier." Alistair wouldn't know how that would feel like. He hasn't felt anything close to happiness until recently. Before the conversation could delve into something deeper, their Biology teacher came in.

The whole class quietened down as the teacher laid his brief case on his desk and went straight to work.

● ● ● ● ● ●

           They exited the classroom together. It was their last lesson of the day and weirdly enough neither felt like going back home.

Brooke sighed deeply as she saw the downpour outside. As much as she loved the rain, she couldn't possibly cycle in a weather like that. She also didn't have her raincoat with her which means she would get drenched.

Alistair picked up on her train of thoughts as he also noticed the downpour. He couldn't possibly let her ride her bike in that weather, not when she could be in danger.

"I can drive you home if you want." Alistair stopped in his tracks and turned to face her completely. They were inches away from the school's exit.

"What about my bike?" Brooke didn't want to burden Alistair. It wasn't his job to drive her anywhere.

"It will okay, I guess. I can also drive you to school in the morning so you don't have to take the bus." Everybody knew that the school bus was absolutely disgusting, it was filled with kids, pre teens and it has a lousy driver. 

"Okay then, thank you." She smiled brightly at him. They prepared themselves to go out but what Brooke wasn't expecting was for Alistair to pull her closer by her waist, he held the side of his leather jacket up and tucked her into it, her cheek rest on his chest as he walked outside the school. Her hand found its place on his chest as she held onto so she wouldn't trip.

The leather jacket actually provided her some warmth and dryness because she was tiny compared to him, the side of the jacked worked as an umbrella.

They reached Alistair's black sedan quickly, he unlocked it and opened the door for her before making his way into the driver's seat. He started the engine then switched on the heater so they wouldn't freeze to death.

"So...where do you live?" She gave him her address and he swiftly got out of the parking lot.

Halfway through their road, Alistair had a good question.

"What does kindness mean to you?" His glance at her, noticing how she was smiling at the scenery as they pass by.

"I think kindness is in the little things," She turned her face to look at him as he drove. His fingers were tightly holding on the steering wheel, his right index finger was drumming on it.

"And kindness should be done just for the sake of being kind, not for the sake of being known as kind or receiving back anything," He glanced at her again suddenly seeing her in a different light.

"I couldn't agree more," He said as his posture relaxed a little.

So...Wattpad is a bitch. (Sorry not sorry)

This chapter was longer, more heart-felt and real but Wattpad decided to delete half of it.

I'm not mad, you're mad!

Yeah, I was pretty pissed for a while but I rewrote what I remembered from the first draft, not that I remembered much but it's all okay now. (Maybe)

Anyway, thank you for reading! See you again on Saturday.