18.| new medicine

Brooke often received phone calls about fostering dogs since she was so interactive with shelters and rescuers

                     Brooke often received phone calls about fostering dogs since she was so interactive with shelters and rescuers. After all she did rescue and adopt her dogs which are her biggest accomplishment.

For a while now she has been declining them for different seasons, one of them being stressed about her situation. Another one were that her parents had been busy with work so they could watch out for the foster dog when she's in school.

But now their schedules were all cleared out! And Brooke couldn't be any happier.

She has gotten a call about a pit ball called Brand, according to the shelter he was a bit aggressive and really anxious. He had been used for dogfights, his tail and ears were cut and they were red signs for people who want to adopt. Brooke decided that he deserves a chance and her family and she will do everything in their power to make him ready for his forever home.

She's praying she doesn't get too attached because as much as she loved dogs (and pets in general) she's in no place to adopt another one, especially since she is going to head off to college next year.

Brooke and her family were a little jittery that the new pittie might not be very friendly with her other two dogs.

Both of her dogs were well-behaved and well-tempered, it just might take the corgi a little more time to warm up.

Nat is a year old corgi and the reason Brooke decided to call her Natasha after Black Widow from the marvel comics because her dog is strong. It's also deceiving just like Nat, you would think such a small, cute dog would be dumb or weak but they are actually the opposite.

"Honey! Brand is here." Brooke jumped off the bed and ran towards the door like her life depended on it.

It didn't take long for the whole house to get used to him. He was skittish at first but quickly warmed up to her family and her dogs.

Brooke quickly fell in love with him and his little quirks. He definitely wasn't anything like the shelter described. He is playful, gentle and has so much love to give that's why she had the brilliant idea of giving him to Alistair.

Alistair might not have told her that he feels lonely but his eyes spoke volumes, and it cannot be easy being avoided by everyone in the school because of rumors and assumptions. He needed a friend and dogs are man's best friend.

She brought up the idea the other day at lunch where they were sitting around with Sully and Izzy.

He seemed reluctant at first. He said he needed to ask his mother first and someone else that Brooke doesn't know.

Alistair had asked his mother and she couldn't say no to him. He also had a session coming up so he asked his therapist if it was a good idea, and Alistair was relieved that she highly recommended  it.

Today, was the day. After two weeks of preparing Brand. Alistair was coming to take him home.

Alistair was excited and this time the feeling stayed and wasn't demolished by his depression. Brooke was also excited for him and Brand too.

She knew that Alistair is caring and mature, he would know how to take care of Brand. She also knew that he has so much love that he doesn't know what to do with it. This is good for both of them.

She had given Brand a bath before hand, she put a pretty collar on him to make him look cuter than usual.

She sat at the couch impatiently waiting for the doorbell to ring, she would have squealed loudly if it wasn't for the dogs, they would be scared.

As soon as the door bell rang, she jumped to her feet and sprinted towards it. The dogs following her, their tails wiggling.

She opened the door with a big smile on her face. She then realised it was the first time Alistair would be seeing her house.

Alistair's world stopped for second when Brooke smiled at him. Her face shone with excitement and anticipation that it fueled his own. He then decided that he would like to see that smile more often and he would do the impossible to get it.

"C'mon in!" She ushered him inside. She shut the door closed after him.

Alistair looked down at the dogs as their barks filled the silent house. He chuckled as he knelt in front of them to pet each one of them. He recognised Nat and Bucky from all the times Brooke has talked about them. Then, his attention fell onto Brand, his new housemate if all goes well.

Brand was a big pit bull and quite bulky as he was used in dog fighting but still his smile was cute and if you looked at it, you would think this dog has never been through anything traumatic.

And at that point, Alistair related to the dog.

After the excitement of Alistair coming into the house, they settled in the living room where an old episode of Brooklyn nine-nine was on.

Brooke offered Alistair a drink before they resettled back on the couch with the dogs at their feet.

"So...what do you think?" She took a sip of canned cola and stared at Alistair.

"I think I found a new best friend." Alistair smiled. A rare smile that hasn't crossed his lips for a long while. It took away Brooke's breath when she realised he might have never been this excited, at least not for long.

"I'm glad." Brooke smiled back.