22.| drive home

Alistair found himself surrounded by hundreds of his peers as he manoeuvred his way through one of the jocks' mansion

He was, for the first time, attending a high school party and it was completely his own idea.

After weeks of working through the Brooke thing with his therapist, he felt like he was making progress but it wasn't fast enough for him. He wanted to forget she ever existed, and what is better than loud music and booze to make you forget?

His mom would be furious and that's exactly what he wants.

She has been walking on eggshells around him and it was driving him insane. She should have yelled at him or scowled him for getting a bad grade last week but she did nothing. He felt guilty that she wasn't letting her true emotions out because of him.

So he drank the first beer, letting the bitter taste cover his taste buds, hoping that it would somehow erase all of his problems and toxic thoughts. He paid no attention to the people bumping into him or to the girls that poked his shoulders and tried to flirt.

He came to this party for himself and by himself and he intends to keep it like that.

So he drank his little, broken heart out and sang and danced like there was no tomorrow and somewhere in his messed up mind, he wished there wasn't tomorrow.

Slowly, the alcohol turned against him. It made him quite dizzy, disorientated and it didn't make anything funny anymore. It was just making him sadder.

● ● ● ● ● ● ● ● ●

                     Sully arrived at the party quite late, everybody was getting sloppy and it wasn't as fun. He spent most of his days with Mason but Mason has been out of town for a college thing and Sully was bored.

It might have took him too long to decide whether or not to come here.

He looked around hoping to see a familiar face that he could have fun with, except he only saw Alistair.

The tall boy was dressed in all black, his hoodie covering his hair as he laid his head on the counter. He looked like a mess and it reminded him of Brooke somehow.

Brooke hasn't been herself, she was snappy, lazy and it is almost as if a spark has been put out. She has lost that shine that attracted everybody to her. She barely smiles anymore but somehow she still tries her hardest to stay kind.

Sully glanced again at Alistair and let out a defeated sigh. Alistair seemed lonely, he was also in no shape to walk anywhere let alone drive himself home, so Sully decides he is going to drive him home.

"Hey, Ali," Sully patted Alistair's shoulder gently so he wouldn't scare him. Alistair raiser his head off the table and glanced at him.

"Oh, hi, Sully." Alistair gave a lop-sided grin.

"Do you need someone to drive you home?" Sully asked. Alistair kept staring at him but it wasn't like he was really looking at him, he seemed more zoned out than anything.

"Yeah, I do. Do you know somebody who can drive me for free? Because I'm pretty sure somebody stole my money." He slurred his words, they blended into each and Sully could barely understand him.

"I'll drive you, C'mon." Sully helped him up by his shoulder. They walked slowly making sure they wouldn't trip and they rode in Alistair's black car.

Sullivan started the engine and backed out of the driveway. He drove in silence, waiting for Alistair to say something.

"How is she?" Alistair whispered. He sounded tired and burdened as if the thought of Brooke caused him too much pain.

"Not great, she hasn't really been herself lately." Sully answered, he glanced at the rear view mirror to catch his reaction.

Alistair wanted to be glad that she was also hurting. He wanted to stay mad, he wanted to be selfish and wish her bad things but it was Brooke. He could never do that to her.

"She broke my heart," Alistair gulped. It was weird for him to open up to Sullivan. "But I miss her so much." Alistair sighed, his head hanging low as an overwhelming tide of emotions threatened to break him.

"She misses you, too, I'm sure of it," Sully said as he parked the car in front of Alistair's house.

"Just remember that she does everything out of love and kindness," Sully turned around to look at Alistair.

"There was nothing kind about it, Sully," Alistair replied, seemingly more tired than ever.

Alistair thanked Sullivan and they went on their merry way. Sully decided to walk the rest of the way home while Alistair silently entered his house.

Alistair would have believed Sully when it comes to Brooke doing stuff out of pure kindness but after what she has put him through, he is not sure anymore.

He is not sure about anything anymore. His life has turned more gray recently and nothing mattered to him.

Maybe it was all his fault, maybe he shouldn't have attached himself to her that fast, maybe he should have guarded his heart better.

But it was so effortless, them being friends were almost inevitable after the second he laid eyes on her. It was like something had clicked somewhere in his soul. He wouldn't have been able to be closed off even if he wanted to.

Because his body wasn't his when it comes to her.

He sighed heavily feeling a raging headache coming on. He put a bottle of painkiller on his nightstand with a glass of water. He was barely able to get out of his clothes as fatigue took over his body. All he wanted to do was sleep and maybe dream about a certain blonde.