10.| don't pretend

Brooke tried to keep that innocent, positive smile on

                  Brooke tried to keep that innocent, positive smile on. It took all of her might to do so. It was Friday and she would really like to go home. The weight of her secret felt heavier today and the struggle to keep smiling felt harder. She didn't want to allow herself to have a bad because she scared if she does, she may never comes out of it.

But the bottled up feelings were starting to rot inside of her and the toxic waste was slowly infecting her, her life and quite possibly the people around her.

And she is fighting with all the that she got but she doesn't know if she can keep going like that. She doesn't know if she can handle this fear and uncertainty much longer, it is making everything rickety.

She had a fifteen-minute break before her last class of the day so she decided to head outside for some fresh air. There was barely any students because of the chilly weather but the crisp, cold air cooled her nerves down.

Alistair watched as Brooke exited the school from under the shadow of a tree. He was hiding from everybody as he predicted some kind of an anxiety attack coming. He rarely experienced those but when he does, it drains him out. Just like everything else in life.

Without really noticing his actions, Alistair's legs directed him into her direction. He quickly caught up to her and fell into step with her.

"Hi," Alistair grinned a little. Both of them could tell the other wasn't feeling so good. They knew that silence and some peace and quiet is all they need right now.

Brooke greeted him back weakly and they continued to walk towards the school's bleachers so they could sit for the next ten minutes or so.

There was a group of guys training and two girls sitting but other than that, the bleachers was all theirs. They took a seat on the higher ones, Brooke quickly raised her legs and rested them on the chair in front of her while Alistair put their bags next to him.

Brooke wrapped her jacket around herself tighter and just stared ahead.

"How was your day?" Alistair found himself asking. When it comes to Brooke, Alistair seems to be impulsive, it's like she completely erased his mind. His body wasn't his when she was around.

"It was okay," The world must have been really off today because this was the first time Alistair saw a fake smile grace those rosy pink lips of hers.

"You know you don't have to pretend with me, right?" Alistair laid his arm behind her shoulder on her chair, Brooke stared blankly at him at first before her face broke into a small smile.

Brooke was comfortable enough around Alistair that she laid her head on his board shoulders as his arm gently wrapped itself around her. She decided to leave her doubts about him in the back of her mind for today. She need some rest and he was her best source of comfort in this school.

"I know," She whispered softly as her little hand rest on his chest right wear his heart would be. It was beating fiercely in chest which caused Alistair to blush lightly but Brooke found it endearing.

● ● ● ● ● ●

           The day has ended rather slowly and Brooke couldn't be more glad that it has. She was way too excited about that nap she's about to get once she arrives home. Her body and brain are too tired to function properly, she hoped she could bicycle safely to her house. She would have asked for a ride home with Sully but he already left, he always leaves earlier on Friday. Izzy lives within a walking distance to school so she hasn't needed a car yet.

Brooke pondered over whether or not to ask Alistair for help, she decided it isn't worth it. She didn't want to burden him so she got on her baby blue bike and cycled away.

Alistair, on the other hand, drove swiftly towards his house where he knew his mom waited for him with a delicious meal.

It was their little tradition that they picked up after his father died. His mom became too busy with work but she has always managed to get back home in time to cook for her son and eat lunch with him before going back to work.

Alistair found himself a little bit excited about that fact.

It's been awhile since he felt that way.

But that feeling diminished away by the guilt wave that suddenly rippled through him and it got a little hard for him to pull through the tides.

He parked the car in its usual place, he heaved out a deep sigh before exiting the car and heading towards the front door of his house. His shoulders sagged as the weight on them were heavier than before.

But he brushed it off, though. He didn't want to worry his mom so he put his best facade on and thrust the door open.

The aroma of delicious food filled his nose as he walked through the house slowly. He leaned on the kitchen's door frame and watched his mom as she cooked their meal while humming softly to the music that was coming out of her phone.

"Hey, mom." Warmth flooded his system as she spun around and gave him her biggest smile.

"Hello, my boy!" She wiped her fingers clean with her apron before wrapping her arms around him in a mending hug where everything almost was okay.

But it's never okay with Alistair.

"How was your day, Ali?" His mom asked gently as she resumed with her cooking. Alistair dropped his backpack on the floor next to his chair before turning to speak with his mom. 

"Uneventful," He was conflicted. He wanted to tell his mom about Brooke because he knows she would be over the moon, but he didn't want her to over react and blow things about of proportion. He also didn't want to give her false hope that he was getting better or that his relationship with his peers has changed.

"I- I met this girl a few weeks ago," He gulped trying to moisturise his suddenly drying throat. "She was having a rough day and I helped her out. Her name is Brooke. She is very nice and kind and she got these amazing blu-" He caught himself off as he got carried away. Again his body wasn't his when it comes to Brooke. He completely lost control over his tongue.

"Anyway, she's only a friend," He emphasised so his mom wouldn't freak out on him. "I think you would like her."

Alistair's mom didn't want to show her face to her son yet. Her eyes were slightly shiny due to the unshed tears that gathered. It's been a long while since her son talked about anybody- let alone a girl! She felt so happy and so overwhelmed with hope and love that she almost wanted to break out in the most ridiculous happy dance ever, but she knew her son wouldn't want that and she didn't want to scare him off so she turned around slowly and smiled brightly at him.

"That's great, son! You should bring her around for dinner some time." Alistair grinned slightly at her with a nod and his mom couldn't be any happier but she was finally catching a glimpse of the old Alistair she knew was hidden under deep layers of grief and sadness.