13.| the discovery of the bad boy

As the time passed, Brooke's doubts about Alistair started to fade away, it almost felt like they were never there to being with

She also felt curious, curious about the tall, handsome boy with a scary reputation that was really crumbling down into nothing as she spends more time with him. Whatever was, and is still, being said about him, is not true. He was not just a rude loner with violent tendencies, he is so much more than that.

He is the boy that always offers to help even if it is in the simplest way, he is the boy that makes Brooke forget about all of her troubles, he is the boy who is so concerned on being kind to others that he forgets to be kind to himself. He is the boy with a lot of package but has no problem carrying hers as well. And if that wasn't admirable then she doesn't know what is.

Yet, he was still called the bad boy for doing certain things. Things that they haven't discussed yet and Brooke knew that whatever he did was backed up by a good reason.

Even her friends, who were very wary of him, have warmed up to him. The awkward, weird tension was slowly dissolving and Brooke was very glad.

But that doesn't mean the whole blackmailer thing has been forgotten, no. If anything, they are more focused on finding them now that their only suspect is turning out to be a good person.

After that text that told her it's time to do what they wants, she hasn't received anything yet but she could feel a tidal wave of scary events coming and quite possibly crash into her. A shiver ran down her spine at the thought.

"School," Izzy sighed deeply. "Is exhausting me." She finished as she sat on the chair next to Brooke.

"At least you are going to be done with it in January." Sully said as he nipped on his sandwich. Since Izzy is smarter than most, she is going to graduate earlier than her friends and hopefully catch the summer semester of college.

"Thank God." Izzy muttered. Izzy never failed to amaze Brooke, she always blows Brooke away with her intelligence.

They continued their talk about colleges and dream jobs as they ate their lunch. All pervious worries thrown out of the window as they chatted together.

For the longest time, it has only been the three of them against the world. Scaring off bullies and letting their hurtful words roll off their back like it is nothing. Supporting each other and building each other up, that was the foundation of their friendship. And quite honestly none of the them would have it any other way.

● ● ● ● ● ● ●

              It became a regular thing for Alistair and Brooke to meet at the bleachers in their spares and/or their breaks. They would either walk together or one of them would find the other waiting patiently, and it always brings a smile on their faces.

It has been a while since Brooke felt happy about seeing somebody. Yes, she is always happy to see her friends but it has been a while since she made a new friend, and she was delighted that it is Alistair.

"Hey, Al." It was signature for Brooke to say it nowadays. It wouldn't be her if she didn't greet him like that.

"Hey, Brooke." Alistair also wanted to find a nickname for Brooke but her name was too short for that.

They sat in silence for a while as they watched the football team practice. Their knees brushing lightly everytime Alistair moved his legs up and down. He constantly moves his leg, it was a bad habit that really annoyed his mom and his close friend.

"I-I know your reason behind punching Orion Grey but..." Brooke tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Alistair knew it was going to be a difficult question to answer since she was stuttering and tucking her hair behind her ear.

"Why did you key that teacher's car?" She stared at him from under her long, dark lashes, almost knocking the air out of him. Her blue eyes shone with intrigue as she unflinchingly made eye contact with him.

"Somebody had to do something," He bit the inside of his cheek. "I walked in on him doing it with a student." A small gasp left Brooke's lips.

"I- I just couldn't know and not do anything about it so keying his car was a warning for him," He ran a hand through his head as anger starting flaring in his chest. "I guess he was a coward and just decided to quit."

"I would've gone to the principle or even the cops but I had no proof and the girl didn't want to come forward," He sighed, regret and guilt eating away at him. "I had to think about the girl too. I mean, um her reputation would be ruined and her life would become so much harder, y'know?" He cleared his throat after that. He couldn't look at Brooke, he didn't want to see her reaction. He was shameful that he didn't do more, who knows? Maybe that prick went to use other teenagers in other school. Alistair should have done more, better. His head hand low as he stared at his knees.

Suddenly, a small, warm, soft hand held his gently and gave a reassuring squeeze. He glanced up to see Brooke smiling light at him as she rubbed soothing circles on the back of his hand.

"It's okay, you have done your best." She whispered as she neared him a little bit more.

The space between them was particularly nonexistent as they stared into each other's eyes. They dived into each other souls with only one look. It rendered Alistair breathless and caused Brooke's cheeks to flare up with a light pink blush.

"You're so nice to me, why?" Alistair furrowed. Nobody really bothered to even acknowledge Alistair as a human being with actual feeling but she is doing that and also being super nice to him.

"Because I don't like to judge people based off their reputation or looks," She smiled like she knew a secret he didn't know. "And because everybody deserves kindness and I think it's been a while since someone has been nice to you."