34.| it takes a lot

Brooke hadn't realised how hard it is to move forward after a traumatic event

                            Brooke hadn't realised how hard it is to move forward after a traumatic event. She hadn't realised how hard it was for Orion to get away from his parents, or how hard Alistair had to work to get to where he is now, how hard it is to function as a human being with the world constantly beating you down. 

She looked down at her shaking hands, clenching and unclenching them till she was able to control the tremor. She had just finished with the therapist. She felt lighter yet so incredibly vulnerable, like her ribcage was wide open showing her heart and all her feelings. It was freeeing to talk to someone that she wasn't afraid of them being judgemental but it was scary to know how much she exactly hid of herself just to please everyone. 

Alistair was waiting outside but she decided to take a couple of minutes to breathe and collect her thoughts. He was so kind to her throughout the whole process. He had given her the number of this doctor. She made the appointment and he offered to drive her there and wait till the end of her session. Her first reaction was to say no, she didn't want to burden him with her problems. She agreed after a second thought. She needed the support. 

She inhaled deeply as she exited the building and headed to the parking lot where Alistair's car was. He was nodding to a beat of a familiar song and she smiled. He looked younger, like how people their age should look like. He caught her gaze in the side mirror and quickly lowered the volume. A faint storke of pink covered his cheeks and her smiled got wider. 

"What's up, rock star?" She slid into the passenger seat. 

"How was it?" He asked, his eyes filled with concern. His apparent worry warmed her from the inside out. 

"Good, she is a nice doctor," She started. "But i don't know if we completely clicked." It was normal, according to Alistair and the internet, to not click with your first therapist. She wasn't going to let that discourage her from seeking help. 

"That's okay, we could always look for another one," He grinned and her heart skipped a beat as he said we. 

He turned on the engine and started driving towards her house. The sun was shining through the clouds despite the cold. The sunshine mixed with the cold breeze brushed against Brooke's cheek. She smiled, relishing the feeling of nature connecting with her. The utter lightness of it, the feeling that life wasn't all that bad and there will come days like this again, when her mind doesn't feel like a captor and her skin isn't a prison. When she can be whatever she wants, a free spirit, free of the shackles she placed upon herself. When she can be consumed by her passions and feelings yet not scared of them. When life doesn't have to be cruel, instead it is a friend. Gently showing us the way. 

A wave of relief and calmness washed over Alistair as he glanced at her. Her face towards the window with a smile and a pair of closed eyes. The sun had managed to illuminate her soft strawberries cheeks. It was like looking at her though a magical lense. Sparkles danced around her, the colour of her lip and cheek more vibrant than ever. Her blonde hair cascaded down her shoulder and he swore he hadn't seen a more beautiful sight in his whole life. 

They both decided that the car ride was too short but they both needed to get ready for the Winterball later this evening, so they bid their goodbye. 

Brooke entered the house and for the first time in a while it felt like returning home. She chatted a little with her parents, told them how good it went with the therapist. She kissed them both on their cheeks because she hadn't done that in a while. Then, she excused herself so she can go and get ready. 

Sully and Mason were picking up Izzy, and although Mason wasn't a high schooler anymore, the school decided that each student gets a plus-one that wasn't a student. It was all to help the town move forward. Alistair was picking up Brooke for the second time that day and both were over the moon about it. 

Alistair hadn't asked Brooke officially to be his date but words needn't to be spoken when it came to them. They understood each other. 

Brooke walked into her room. Her dress laid on the bed along with the accessories she had choosen. She smiled giddly as bubbles rose up on her stomach. She hurried to the bathroom to wash up. After that, she did her make up. She used a copper- brown eyeshadow and kept the rest of her face minimal. She wore the dress with the help of her mom and then let her mom do her hair. 

A few minutes before Alistair came, she stood in front of a mirror and smiled. Her pastel pink dress hang nicely on her body, it was a deep V neckline with long bell lace sleeves. The skirt was A-line that paired well with her nude heels. She loved how she looked and she hasn't thought that in a while. 

Her heart dropped then rose back up as the door bell rang. Her mom opened the door and Brooke could hear her greeting Alistair. The pace of her heartbeat quickened. She took a few deep breaths before going into the living room. 

Everything ceased to exist as they laid eyes on each other. The universe held its breath with them. The stars danced around them and shone brighly with anticipation and excitment. Brooke smiled one of her magnificent smiles and Alistair's heart stopped and jump started again. He wanted to strode confident and passionate towards her, wrap his arms around her and kiss her senselessly and then pull away and do it all over again. 

But he settled for a smile of his own as her parents pushed them together for a photo. 

When Brooke finally managed to convince her parents that she is going to be fine, they walked to Alistair's black car. 

Cliffhanger? Sorry?

Anyway...hope you liked it. Thank you so much for the support.

A chapter or two left. Prepare yourself.