25.| a new secret

It felt like a breath of fresh air for the both of them, after being through so much and drowning in an overwhelming amount of emotions, this was stepping into the light

                        It felt like a breath of fresh air for the both of them, after being through so much and drowning in an overwhelming amount of emotions, this was stepping into the light. A light where warmth, kindness, acceptance and love were present.

It was also a new secret but it didn't carry the burden of one because they didn't have to hide it from one another.

Brooke kept peaking out of the window every few seconds, her heart pounding in her chest like a hammer.

It was Saturday afternoon. Her parents were out doing grocery shopping together so they left her alone with the dogs. She decided that it would be the perfect time to call Alistair and invite him over. She even insisted on bringing Brand the pit with him, she missed that dog deeply.

Her blood sizzled with excitement and anticipation, she couldn't stop fidgeting as she went through the house and tide it up. It didn't need any more cleaning or tiding, her mom has already done that but Brooke was too nervous to care.

It was definitely not a date and she constantly reminded herself of that so she wouldn't lose sight of things and maybe help calm her nerves down a little bit.

The bell rang while she was in the middle of wiping off the kitchen counter. Her heart stopped and her hand froze mid movement and then all of sudden her brain jump started again.

She put the cleaning cloth away and jogged to the door. She stood behind it and took a deep breath before opening it.

Brooke's heart skipped a beat again as the excitement bubbled over and manifested as wide smile on her face.

Alistair stood there with a similar smile on his face, his eyes had an extra glimmer that wasn't there before and it nearly knocked the air out of Brooke's lungs.

She realised he looked genuinely happy.

So naturally, she got even more excited and happy.

Alistair stared at her breathtaking smile with awe. It made the whole world lighter and clearer. Brand took the chance of both being wrapped up in each other's beauty and jumped on Brooke, licking her and wiggling his tail.

"Awww, I missed you, too, Brand!" Brooke giggled as the pit continued to attack her with love and kisses.

She let her guests in and instantly Brand got distracted by Nat and Bucky.

"Hi," Brooke said. Her smile threatening to split her face in half. Her cheeks were starting to hurt.

"Hello," Alistair chuckled at her as she smiled adorably.

The air was electrified, it sizzled and cracked with unspoken feelings. Brooke felt like she was on top of a roller coaster that is teasing her about going down.

They sat in the living room, the dogs played around them, it was a perfect scene.

● ● ● ● ● ● ●

                      Brooke likes to believe that she is a film expert, that she has the knowledge to be a film critic but Alistair kept surprising her with the movies he would suggest.

"How do you know so many movies?" It was an innocent enough question but it made Alistair's heart skip a beat. He cleared his throat before turning to her.

"One way to distract yourself from a depressive episode is by throwing yourself into media." He shrugged. He turned back to the TV as he clicked away on the remote.

Brooke's tiny, warm hand squeezed his forearm in a comforting matter. It sends jolts of electricity up and down his arm.

They ended up watching Kill Bill volume 1. A classic that was interesting enough and kept their minds off of other things. Like how close they were sitting, and how their knees touched every now and then.

It was driving Alistair insane because he wasn't oblivious and he knew that the air was charged with so much energy but it wasn't the right time.

Not for him. Not for her.

He needed to wait.

But oh, his body wasn't his when it comes to her.

So he leaned closer and wrapped an arm around her shoulders. She tensed up at first before relaxing into his embrace. She rested her head on his shoulder, her hair tickling his jaw line in the best way possible. He, subconsciously, started drawing patterns on her arm, it caused Brooke to see the stars and experience fireworks on her skin.

That was enough for now.

The simple, harmless, tender touches. That was enough for now.

But both of them knew it wouldn't stay like this for long. Their feelings will get the best of them and Alistair didn't know whether to dread that moment or anticipate it.

The shuffle of keys and the creaking of an opening door made them freeze. Brooke quickly untangled herself from Alistair and stood to see who it was.

It was her parents.

Mr and Mrs. Reels.

They looked like a picturesque couple. Their hair was golden just like their daughter's and they wore small smiles as they dropped the bags on the ground.

Alistair instantly knew where Brooke got her eye color from, Mr. Reels. He glanced up at Alistair and instead of scowling like usual fathers, his smile widened.

"Oh, Brooke, who's this?" A teasing tone laced his voice.

"This Alistair McCall, my new friend," She pointed at me then turned her face towards me. "These are my parents Luna and Jacob Reels."

"Nice to meet you both," Alistair smiled as he shook their hands.

"Are you staying for dinner, dear?" Luna asked. Her voice sweet and welcoming, it carried the same gentle tone as Brooke's.

Alistair shot Brooke a questioning glanced so she answered for him in a yes.

And that's how he spent the rest of his evening. In the warmth of The Reels family.